Deliberately uncover a firearm if being harassed?

Carry related chit-chat
warnmar10
Has liked: 5 times
Liked: 13 times

In most circumstances verbal harassment is still a first amendment protected activity.
Hiking up your skirt to expose your gun could be considered a provocation. Self defense goes both ways.
warnmar10
Has liked: 5 times
Liked: 13 times

sewtexas wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:50 pm years ago, probably 10 or so....I had to go to Walmart after dark, by myself. I was carrying though, and on body. As I was leaving the store I noticed a man notice me, I kept my eye on him as I walked toward my van. He started walking toward me, I veered toward a different vehicle, so did he, I did this one more time, he followed me again. I kept walking, but straightened up, switched around my bags to my left hand, and put my hand under my shirt to my waistband. He knew what I was doing, but I showed nothing, he turned around and walked the other direction, I went to my van, locked my doors, drove home shaking and crying the whole way.
This to say, you don't have to "show" in order to let a harasser know you have a weapon, I could have done the same thing without a weapon, but I don't think I'm that good of an actress.
The difference as I see it, you weren't shifting your bags and whatnot to indicate you were armed. You were preparing to survive an anticipated assault. That the potential perp might have been dissuaded by your preparations is just the gravy.
C130

I just got my LTC after saying I was going to do it for years. One thing that made me finally decide was I had an encounter with a guy back in July. My wife and I, along with our 20 year old son, were in my wife's SUV in the center median waiting, fully stopped, to turn left on a 4 lane highway with a large center median. A car then entered the center median and approached us a though they were going to hit us head on but came to rapid stop right in front of us then took off and hit the side of the SUV on purpose. The guy, in his mid 20's gets out and I also get out of the SUV also and ask him what the hell he is doing? He goes on some long tirade about he's a veteran and has "painting little shits overseas" and he's going to "make a painting of me", all slang for killing me and splattering my blood. I inform him I'm a veteran also, it's irrelevant, and then he really goes off and then threatens to kill me on 3 or 4 other occasion stating the exact words, he's going to kill me. All of it is being recorded and I inform him so. My son is on the phone with 911 and the police arrive within 5 minutes. They arrest him for terroristic threat causing serious bodily injury and also ticket him for the accident.

Now, I have asked myself since getting my LTC what would I have done I that she exact situation if I would have had my gun on me. I don't think I would have ever exposed it at all and think most definitely I would not have taken it out of the holster. Reason being that while he verbally threatened to kill me 4 or 5 times he never produced a weapon though he stated he had one in his car. I just felt this idiot was half crazy but not 100% serious. We had a very heated verbal argument but I just didn't feel my life was in danger. Tough scenario though because you never know what someone's real intentions are.
John
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 21 times

C130 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Now, I have asked myself since getting my LTC what would I have done I that she exact situation if I would have had my gun on me. I don't think I would have ever exposed it at all and think most definitely I would not have taken it out of the holster. Reason being that while he verbally threatened to kill me 4 or 5 times he never produced a weapon though he stated he had one in his car. I just felt this idiot was half crazy but not 100% serious. We had a very heated verbal argument but I just didn't feel my life was in danger. Tough scenario though because you never know what someone's real intentions are.
If you knew that the collision was on purpose, your best bet would probably have been to stay in the vehicle. You are more protected there, and can get away, if necessary. Stay in the vehicle, and call the police from there.
NRA Life Member
C130

I agree, best thing would have been to stay in the car. I wanted to make sure I got license plate number and I initially thought he wasn’t going to stop after he hit us. It was absolutely crazy.
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

yup staying calm and collected is the 1st way to got
me. having some turd say he would paint me.
this old veteran would have been a bit more on edge .
calling the law and taking notes or video landed this turd where he needed to be. arrested
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

powerboatr wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 pm yup staying calm and collected is the 1st way to got
me. having some turd say he would paint me.
this old veteran would have been a bit more on edge .
calling the law and taking notes or video landed this turd where he needed to be. arrested
Could you tell that story again but use some adjectives this time? Did someone mess with you and end up arrested because of video?
ldaniel

I had someone in a parking lot come up to my car window and said he need gas money, his wife and kids are in the car and he has to get to a job interview. I gave him some money - yeah I know he is a bum. the next week, I went back to that location and I saw him wandering the parking lots. a couple weeks later, I came out of the hamburger joint and he was there and he was following me to my car asking me to stop and talk to him. So, as I was walking, he was behind me and I went from Concealed Carry to Open Carry and he stopped in his tracks, but still tried to get me to talk to him "You can't hear me????"