.41 Magnum

1911 vs Glock. The answer is obvious...
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 am
Jusme wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am Did a quick Google-fu search for any S&W in 41 mag. I'll post the link to one site, but I take no responsibility, if the OP, suffers, a stroke, heart attack, or any other ill effects. :shock:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... _p1_o6.cfm
Dang. I worked at S&W one summer, decades ago, when all the revolvers were still pinned and recessed. I had no idea what I was even looking at at the time🤔
The pinned and recessed models demand a premium. I have 2 brand new Model 29-2 in 6" barrels. They are consecutive serial numbers. They are in the Blue Boxes. I have seen the model 29-2 being offered up for sell anywhere from 1500 to 2500 when in excellent condition. I am not surprised the Model 57 is being listed for 1600 and above. I always wonder if many sell at that price. A person can ask what ever they want but you have to find a buyer at that price.
srothstein
Has liked: 76 times
Liked: 67 times

Jusme wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:58 am I fired one, years ago, back in my twenties. I know it was a S&W, but I don't know the model #. If I remember correctly I was told it belonged to a former police officer as a duty gun.
San Antonio Police used to issue a .41 Magnum as the duty weapon. Unfortunately, by the time I joined, they had switched to Model 65s in .357. I have never fired a 41 but I am interested in it. Since I cannot afford a good used one, I carry the nearest thing to it, a 10mm Springfield XDM. When people ask about the 10mm, I usually compare it to the 41 as opposed to the .40.
Steve Rothstein
slowpoke13
Has liked: 2 times
Liked: 1 time

There's never enough, when it comes to pistoles. Go for it.
rotor
Has liked: 10 times
Liked: 21 times

Starline has the brass for sale right now. Go for it. I have .357 and .44 Magnums but I am a revolver guy too. If you see one go for it.
madwildcat
Has liked: 28 times
Liked: 14 times

For the under educated on revolvers, why not get a .44 Magnum and have so many more options (other than simply collecting, which is a good reason in itself)?
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

madwildcat wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:41 pm For the under educated on revolvers, why not get a .44 Magnum and have so many more options (other than simply collecting, which is a good reason in itself)?
For one thing, the .41 magnum has less recoil and is more controllable in a self defense situation yet does the job about the same. If you look up the .41 magnum on the interweb you will see that Elmer Keith invented it because he felt the .44 magnum missed the mark due to higher recoil and less control than a .41 magnum. It was meant to fall in between the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum. Keith was trying to develop good cartridges for self defense and law enforcement to carry.

Here is one write up on the issue. Some interesting info here. https://skyaboveus.com/hunting-shooting ... -Cartridge
Much to Keith’s dismay, Remington dropped the low pressure, law enforcement focused load and introduced the full-power version (210 grains at 1250 fps.) in 1964. Smith and Wesson also let Keith down when they refused to chamber their medium-sized K-Frame revolvers for the round and instead introduced the large, N-Frame Model 57 with a six or eight-inch barrel and adjustable sights. To appeal to the law enforcement market, the Massachusetts based gun concern also offered the Model 58: a four-inch barreled Model 57 with fixed sights.
troglodyte
Liked: 2 times

My second centerfired handgun was a S&W 57 (not P&R). I bought it specifically as a black bear gun when in the NM mountains after having a couple of run-ins with the critters. Loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast I figured it would do about as good as anything that I could carry on my belt. Shooting it was OK. Recoil was very manageable.

I don’t have particularly large hands and found I didn’t care for the wood grips. I replaced them with Pachmyers and then I really enjoyed shooting it. I even use it for the revolver portion of my instructor requal.

I don’t shoot it as often as I would like. Ammo
is always a little tougher to find locally, especially practice ammo. I do reload but I’ve been concentrating on 9mm &.223 lately. I did pick up some Starline brass at Cabelas since they had it. I’ve got a bag of lead SWC, powder, and primers so I might load up a few for fun.

I had a Blackhawk in .44 mag but sold it to a friend. The .41 suits me just fine.
SQLGeek
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 19 times

Thanks for the discussion. As to why .41 vs .44, I'm not looking to limit myself. I have a Ruger .44 Carbine so I would eventually like a Model 29 as well but I just find the .41 interesting. I really like shooting 10mm, especially in a revolver, so .41 seems like a natural extension of that.

As usual, finding the gun right now seems to be the big challenge.
<This space intentionally left blank.>