One Hand Shooting - Why?

Anything else
itpm
Has liked: 10 times
Liked: 3 times

Sharing an interesting article on one hand shooting. It's a quick read with some good points.
https://concealednation.org/2015/12/beg ... heres-why/
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Great article!

I practice, at every range session, one handed shooting, with both hands. When I can get to some private property, I also practice shooting from several positions, including lying on my back.
If I am ever in a SD situation, I figure, it won't include, proper stance, proper grip, or ideal shooting positions.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
oohrah
Has liked: 1 time
Liked: 14 times

I also practice with each hand, in addition to two-handed.
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

I think it is important to practice one hand shooting with each hand. One never knows which hand may become disabled in a gunfight situation. One handed reload practice is also a good idea if done with safety in mind, like only with an unloaded weapon. There are some good "how to" videos out ther that show some techniques for doing this and even show some techniques to help clear a jam or stove pipe with one hand.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Agree with reasons stated above...it's a necessary skill to be able to shoot one handed with either hand.

I'm a natural left hander, but switched to shooting right handed a few years back after determining I'm right eye dominant. I still practice shooting with both hands, some days I shoot better left handed.
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

Several years ago I realized I was cross dominant. Right handed, but left eye dominant. After about a year of practice I learned to shoot with my right eye properly. Now I shoot mostly with both eyes open and they are about equal or slightly right eye dominant.

I only figure that after trying that triangle thing with your hands. The first time I tried it is when I discovered I was left eye dominant. After a year of practice my hands come back to my nose or slightly towards my right eye.

Shooting with a handgun got better. I still practice one handed shooting with both hands. Now the problem is I’m not sure which eye I’m using with which hand.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

C-dub wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 am Several years ago I realized I was cross dominant. Right handed, but left eye dominant. After about a year of practice I learned to shoot with my right eye properly. Now I shoot mostly with both eyes open and they are about equal or slightly right eye dominant.

I only figure that after trying that triangle thing with your hands. The first time I tried it is when I discovered I was left eye dominant. After a year of practice my hands come back to my nose or slightly towards my right eye.

Shooting with a handgun got better. I still practice one handed shooting with both hands. Now the problem is I’m not sure which eye I’m using with which hand.
I am the same way, right handed, left eye dominate. My issue was always with rifle/shotgun, until I figured out the problem. I find that when shooting one handed with a handgun, I use my right eye, with my right hand, and left eye with left hand. with both hands, I simply shift my grip slightly to the left, and my left eye is in line, more of a modified Weaver stance.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
Russell
Site Admin
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 111 times

C-dub wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 am Several years ago I realized I was cross dominant. Right handed, but left eye dominant. After about a year of practice I learned to shoot with my right eye properly. Now I shoot mostly with both eyes open and they are about equal or slightly right eye dominant.

I am very similar. I write and eat with my left hand, throw a baseball or punch with my right hand, and am extremely left eye dominant.

I have learned to carry and shoot a pistol with my left hand, and shoot a long gun with my right hand/right eye. No kidding. It's just what I am comfortable with.

I feel these skills my come in handy some day, dual-wield a glock and my AR-10. :lol:
SQLGeek
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 19 times

I find shooting one handed reduces my flinching for some reason. I mix it in most range trips.

That and I’m pretending to be a bullseye shooter. :)
<This space intentionally left blank.>
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

I am so much right hand dominant that I figured there was no way to become anywhere near as good with my left as with my right. That's why I set out to strengthen my right eye for shooting. I'm not even sure I could properly hold a rifle/shotgun left handed. I might pull a muscle or something.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum