apple store and goodle play

Anything else
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

This has nothing to do with CHL, but has to do with freedom to communicate in the age of social media.
apple store and google play removed the parler app. twitter is dumping users faster than a bad burrito morning. conservatives are people with sense are being dumped or locked out.

crazy, i guess the big guys want us to go back like it was when we had only 3 news or tv stations and they controlled all the news and free sharing of information.

liberties we have taken for granted on social media has really gone down the road to fascism .

thank you for this site as any real smart chl talk will be killed next on twitter and facebook
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 213 times

I hate communists and the companies that support them.
Dave
Has liked: 2 times
Liked: 3 times

There are alternatives.

Here is a “de-googled” version of Android that runs on their own hardware as well as some of the more popular Android devices: https://e.foundation/

And here’s a phone that just runs straight-up Linux: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Between the two, I’m more interested in the latter. The specs aren’t as nice, but it’s got hardware kill switches for the radios and cameras, and I like the idea of carrying around a Linux box in my pocket.
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

Flightmare

I frankly wonder if this might subject Apple and Google to an anti-trust lawsuit.
Flightmare

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... g-violence

Add Amazon to the list.
The group Amazon Employees for Climate Justice posted a tweet overnight demanding that “Amazon deny Parler services until it removes posts inciting violence, including at the Presidential inauguration.”
oohrah
Has liked: 1 time
Liked: 14 times

Last I looked, Apple and Google were private companies and are not beholden to 1A, they can do as they please. Maybe they should be subject to Article 230, but that's a different discussion.

Recall, if a baker can choose who to make a cake for, they should have the same options.
Vol Texan
Has liked: 8 times

oohrah wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am Last I looked, Apple and Google were private companies and are not beholden to 1A, they can do as they please. Maybe they should be subject to Article 230, but that's a different discussion.

Recall, if a baker can choose who to make a cake for, they should have the same options.
But there are many bakers, and you can bake it yourself if you wish.
But big tech has increased in stature to being infrastructure level, on par with electric, telephone, and gas companies.
Suppose the electric company said, "I don't want to sell you my product because you xxxx, yyyy, or zzzz". Therefore you're going to live off the grid, whether you like it or not. In my humble opinion, they've stepped over the line.
So, in the information age, could we consider the handful of information providers, aggregators, etc. to be infrastructure level? I'd think so.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com | Texas3006 moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

Vol Texan wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 am
oohrah wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am Last I looked, Apple and Google were private companies and are not beholden to 1A, they can do as they please. Maybe they should be subject to Article 230, but that's a different discussion.

But there are many bakers, and you can bake it yourself if you wish.
But big tech has increased in stature to being infrastructure level, on par with electric, telephone, and gas companies.
Suppose the electric company said, "I don't want to sell you my product because you xxxx, yyyy, or zzzz". Therefore you're going to live off the grid, whether you like it or not. In my humble opinion, they've stepped over the line.
So, in the information age, could we consider the handful of information providers, aggregators, etc. to be infrastructure level? I'd think so.
and you know you may not be far off the chart with the limiting of electricity. CA does it now with no real checks and balances. Imagine if maxine waters, aoc, etc get their way and go after conservatives, they may very well insist we loose utility services :shock: :naughty: all them smart appliances folks have in thier home that are connected to the web, could be simply shut off based on a crazy tech nut at the servers site the appliance connects to . " i am sorry mr. smith, but you have ordered food with the smart fridge that WE deem unhealthy or too "COW", so we will shut off " :lol: :lol:
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
srothstein
Has liked: 76 times
Liked: 67 times

I would think that Apple and Google have now forfeited any protections they have under section 230 in a unique way. By censoring software because they disagree with some of the posts made using it, they are now the publishers instead of the hosts. I have long thought Apple had a problem when you could not get an app that did not come from their store, making them subject to the anti-trust laws based on not forcing software companies to pay them to sell Iphone/Ipad apps. Google had always allowed people to directly install some apps and may now be in the same boat as Apple. Even worse though, is that by both deciding at the same time to ban an app based on its viewpoint (marketing to conservatives) they may be shown to be colluding on market forces, making them definitely subject to the anti-trust laws.

The problem is that the incoming government would have to be the ones prosecuting them and that government is in support of this because it hurts their opposition. While I think they are both breaking the law, my thought don't count since the government will not take action.
Steve Rothstein