100 year freeze VS Bugging out

Anything else
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

This puts things into perspective:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:57 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 pm I wonder how much water my left wing liberal neighbors from California have in their house?🤔

I bet they have at least 3 tank water heaters full...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You REALLY don’t like them, do you? :mrgreen: :lol:
Trust me. You would be begging me to let you have the first go!
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
AndyC
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 68 times

My only issue was heat - I had what I thought was plenty of wood for a fireplace, but I had to 1) eek it out and 2) saw logs off tree-limbs I'd recently cut down.

I was fine on food, I always have 3 big jugs of water in the fridge, a swimming pool and the means to purify more (water tabs, various purifying gadgets and a bottle of plain bleach for specifically that purpose), and lights for the dark (flashlights/oil lanterns/candles/LED rechargeable bulbs) - all of those were based on lessons from Africa due to frequent power- and water-outages there. Shelter from the elements was the most crucial for me.

With that said, I was lucky to not have any burst pipes (need to look deeper into that) and I want to check out those iron fireplace inserts.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

AndyC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:50 pm I want to check out those iron fireplace inserts.
We haven't used our fireplace in many, many years. Would need to have it inspected and cleaned to make sure it's still safe.

An insert with a fan is the way to go to ensure you get heat out into the house instead of just up the chimney!
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:27 pm
AndyC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:50 pm I want to check out those iron fireplace inserts.
We haven't used our fireplace in many, many years. Would need to have it inspected and cleaned to make sure it's still safe.

An insert with a fan is the way to go to ensure you get heat out into the house instead of just up the chimney!
I haven't used mine in three years. My home was built in 1991 and my fireplace chimney has never been cleaned. I am afraid to use it before getting it cleaned out at this point. Although after my house got down below 50, I did start looking at some of my wood furniture as a possible fuel source. Yeah, I definitely need to get the vent pipe in my chimney cleaned out. I have heard of chimney fires leading to homes burning down.
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

Growing up in Arkansas, and during my 1989-2012 adulthood years in the Texarkana area, power outages were so common that I was a bit paranoid. When we moved to northern New Hampshire (where lack of heat is seriously life-threatening, not just uncomfortable), our 1850 house had an open fireplace. I had a pro install the biggest insert that would fit, a Lopi Freedom mounted proud so that it has a cooking surface. Total cost was $4,300 with a stainless liner, and well worth it for the peace of mind.

The house has forced hot air heating from an oil furnace, and in mild conditions that's what we use. (By "mild", I mean a day like today, with a high of 27 and a forecast low of 5.) I never light a fire unless it's going to be below 20 for a couple of days or more, and then it's mostly just for the pleasure of it. Otherwise, we put on more clothes and keep the furnace set so that inside temps are about 60.

(Yes, the 10 year old mini-me did explain to someone local eight years ago, "We moved here from Texas because Momma has hot flashes." Momma still hates the heat, and wore short sleeves with no jacket today when it was 27.)

Irony? We've only lost power here 3 times since 2012, and the only time it was more than 45 minutes was a Summer day when a tree limb took out our service drop.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

we did really well
no power loss for more than 5 minutes
but we lost water pressure to less than 10lbs until sunday evening.
we have a 100 gallon fresh water tank in the rv in the garage so i kept it full

we stocked up on perishables friday before the world went to freeze beast mode.
we are re-stocking now for eggs and fresh bread and BEER .
we have 10 cases of water in reserve and used 2 of them for my parents next door

did find a few thermal areas we need to beef up the r value in the rv garage, working on it this week
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

We have one of those inserts in our fireplace. It works well to distribute fireplace heat out into the rom.......WHEN there is electricity. During the worst of the 28 hours we were without power, we just scooted two living room couches over close to the fireplace, and got the grandkids and everybody cosied up under layers of blankets, etc. It was nice. But I wouldn’t want to have to do that every day.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"