What I learned during Snowmaggedon

Carry related chit-chat
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

While many may not have ventured out much during the latest cold snap. I was out and about acting as errand boy, taxi service, and still having to work.

I put on extra layers to stay warm. This often included Carhartt, insulated bibs, or a Walls industries, insulated set of coveralls, over my normal jeans, and OWB holster, with either my CZ 75B. or SP-01. This not only caused the outer garment to be much tighter than normal, it made it almost impossible to draw my gun, if I needed to do so. My coveralls have side zippers, that reach my waist, so I could leave my strong side unzipped, and only snap the leg snaps 3/4 of the way up. This would give me access to my gun, but with a restricted draw stroke. My bibs zippers, only reach my thighs.
I ended up going back to my M&P and shoulder holster during the coldest weather.
I am now shopping for shoulder holsters for my two CZs. Or possibly sticky pocket holsters.
While another deep freeze like we just experienced, has only happened a few times, in my life, and not likely for several more years, I really felt unprepared.

Anyone else experience issues with carry, while battling the cold?
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

I like the term "SNOVID-21" better. I never lost power, but had friends stay over who had. Didn't really have a need to leave the house. But it wouldn't change my carry method as I tend to pocket carry anyways.
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

I always make sure the jacket I'm wearing wouldn't get in the way of my draw. But there is one thing I never really thought much about until it got really cold out. I strictly carry plastic when it's freezing. Metal framed guns get really cold. It ain't comfy, especially if a shirt gets accidentally untucked and the cold metal touches your skin. Well, for most people it's not an issue, for me when I carry untucked 99% of the time, yeah, it makes a difference.
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

I learned that I need to know which of my leftist neighbors have any food stores in the event that this had become a months long grid down scenario.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
AndyC
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 68 times

Snovid-21 - lol. Stealing that :)

I had plenty of food, fresh water, cooking options, water-purification options, etc - but I think I'll lay in a larger supply of firewood this time.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:44 pm I learned that I need to know which of my leftist neighbors have any food stores in the event that this had become a months long grid down scenario.
:D Definitely

We never lost power or water. I didn’t leave the house from Saturday evening until Friday.
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm
:D Definitely

We never lost power or water. I didn’t leave the house from Saturday evening until Friday.
I don't think I could do that at all. I'd suffer from ludicrous levels of cabin fever. I ended up driving around a bit last week. It's nice to have off-road capable tires and a little something in the vehicle labeled "4H"
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

I learned that when the weather calls for three to five days of freezing temperatures, take them more seriously..
kpflounder
Has liked: 83 times
Liked: 11 times

I learned you can pour melted candle wax on cotton balls, paper, or cardboard to make it burn longer.
I need a generator.
I need to keep bottled water and flashlights around.
I learned there is a fiesta in Pasadena in Spencer with most employees walking distance and the store opened daily.
And I learned that preppers have a point.
I discovered online libraries and rentals.
Snow isn't as "magic" when your kids are grown. It's a pain.
And after trying to cook a dinner by my great grandmothers kerosene lantern , I have a total respect for pioneer people.
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

We may be making the change to a gas stove sooner than later.

Carry method didn't change and I had no issues. When I could carry when out and about I had a long insulated cover shirt and then my long lined drover over that. I typically carry OWB anyway and this didn't hinder that at all.

IMHO, don't go overboard on making changes or additions as a result of this highly irregular blizzard that hit us. How often will something like this happen? Will those changes or additions be worth it if this type of thing never happens again. Oh, the irony of saying that on this forum. Just throwing it out there. For example, I will probably not be doing some kind of generator. The initial cost, installation, and upkeep seems prohibitive to me. Maybe a small gas generator for a few things, but even that is iffy. If the power is out the gas stations cannot function. If I switch to the gas stove, which we've talked about doing anyway, I can still cook and boil water if necessary. We also have a fireplace and may start using it more regularly during the winter to maintain its use, which means having firewood in place each fall before winter. I remember my parents using these same methods during winter blizzards in Kansas over 50 years ago. Sleeping in the front room in front of the fireplace to keep warm during days without electricity.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum