impeachment this week or not

Anything else
jason812
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 77 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:26 pm
Maybe, but more immediately it’s to ensure that he cannot run again in 2024. If the impeachment ends in conviction, he cannot be president in the future. Their biggest fear is that people will be so disgusted by Biden/Harris's actions that voters will easily re-elect Trump in either the next cycle or the one following.
I've heard it said and this is the one thing the demorats and rino never Trumpers don't realize. If they were doing their jobs, there would have never been a President Trump.
Why is it so hard for politicians to understand "shall not be infringed?"
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

folks are presenting that senate can use the pro tem president sen leahy can preside over the trial, because trump is not the current president.
HOWEVER we ll know how you word things in document is paramount.
the senate just voted to use the rules they established to impeach "PRESIDENT donald J. trump" NOT "FORMER" or private citizen, so that in itself tosses out leahy based on wording of their own document

words have consequences ...
and roberts should be impeached for failure of his sworn oath of office
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
srothstein
Has liked: 76 times
Liked: 67 times

This whole thing is going to be one hell of a supreme court case, which Roberts will also need to recuse himself from. Impeachment is reserved for current officials and the Belknap case may or may not be guiding. In that case, the Senate voted that they retained jurisdiction to impeach former officials. Since Belknap was acquitted, this was never appealed and SCOTUS never ruled on it. Interestingly enough, that also leaves open the question of whether an impeachment trial can be appealed or not. I still think that Trump should just ignore the trial completely as unconstitutional, just to see what happens.

But the point Powerboatr makes is really critical. If they impeached President Trump, then Roberts has no authority to recuse himself and MUST preside. If they allow Leahy to preside, it is a recognition that they are not impeaching a president, which means he cannot be impeached.

And I don't think any of the Dems in power have considered where this is leading the country. Or if they have considered, it, then they are the ones trying to destroy the country by provoking the civil war. right now, I do not see any way for this country to avoid the war that is coming, based on the behavior of the legislators in power.
Steve Rothstein
Pawpaw
Has liked: 52 times
Liked: 29 times

Pawpaw
Has liked: 52 times
Liked: 29 times

Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

Senator Patrick Leahy has not been feeling well and has been hospitalized. His spokesperson David Carle said out of an abundance of caution, the attending physician recommended he be taken to a local hospital for observation.
powerboatr

Flightmare wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:04 pm Senator Patrick Leahy has not been feeling well and has been hospitalized. His spokesperson David Carle said out of an abundance of caution, the attending physician recommended he be taken to a local hospital for observation.
hopefully its only stress from being in the position he is.
but i find it funny that suddenly he feels ill.
i also find it odd the FBI that sat on its ass for 4 years, is now looking at prosecuting over 200 people for the jan 6 th incident. ,my question is how many are capitol police? they opened the doors, led them around and took selfies

I can be a dick at times, especially with the way things are worded. I spent two painful 4 year terms on our communities POA/HOA. I protected property owners rights, from over reach by zealous directors who tried to rule based on thoughts vice the way texas POA law is written. Words and how they are arranged can change any perceptions a normal person my have. just like clinton and "is" .
SHALL means the process is not optional
SHOULD means its not mandatory

I hate to see our country dragged into this mess. BUT trumps is a street fighter. he needs to have his team exploit every ounce of bull muffins the democrats present.
but this farce of a trial, will require both sides to present evidence. videos alone will prove very damming to democrats.
i have the pdf of the articles but for some darn reason i cannot get them to download to the site
everyone should search and read them, its short

"Article of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives of the United States of America in the name of itself and of the people of the United States of America, against Donald John Trump, President of the United States of America, in maintenance and support of its impeachment against him for high crimes and misdemeanors.

ARTICLE 1: INCITEMENT OF INSURRECTION

The Constitution provides that the House of Representatives "shall have the sole Power of Impeachment" and that the President "shall be removed from Office on Impeachment, for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors." Further, section 3 of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution prohibits any person who has "engaged in insurrection or rebellion against" the United States from "hold[ing] and office ... under the United States.' In his conduct while President of the United States — and in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, provide, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed — Donald John Trump engaged in high Crimes and Misdemeanors by inciting violence against the Government of the United States, in that:

On January 6, 2021, pursuant to the 12th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the Vice President of the United States, the House of Representatives, and the Senate met at the United States Capitol for a Joint Session of Congress to count the votes of the Electoral College. In the months preceding the Joint Session, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the Presidential election results were the product of widespread fraud and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by State or Federal officials. Shortly before the Joint Session commenced, President Trump, addressed a crowd at the Ellipse in Washington, D.C. There, he reiterated false claims that "we won this election, and we won it by a landslide." He also willfully made statements that, in context, encouraged — and foreseeably resulted in — lawless action at the Capitol, such as: "if you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore." Thus incited by President Trump, members of the crowd he had addressed, in an attempt to, among other objectives, interfere with the Joint Session's solemn constitutional duty to certify the results of the 2020 Presidential election, unlawfully breached and vandalized the Capitol, injured and killed law enforcement personnel, menaced Members of Congress, the Vice President, and Congressional personnel, and engaged in other violent, deadly, destructive and seditious acts.

President Trump's conduct on January 6, 2021, followed his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the results of the 2020 Presidential election. Those prior efforts included a phone call on January 2, 2021, during which President Trump urged the secretary of state of Georgia, Brad Raffensperger, to "find" enough votes to overturn the Georgia Presidential election results and threatened Secretary Raffensperger if he failed to do so.

In all this, President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of Government. He threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coequal branch of Government. He thereby betrayed his trust as President, to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.

Wherefore, Donald John Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security, democracy, and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law. Donald John Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States."

i hate using NPR but senate.gov has them NOT there
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Impeach Obama for Inciting Black Lives Matter Riots
http://www.danielgreenfield.org/2021/01 ... lives.html
On the campaign trail for Biden in Philadelphia Obama had ranted, "We can't abandon those protesters who inspired us. We've got to channel their activism into action, we can't just imagine a better future. We've got to fight for it."

A week later, massive riots broke out in Philly that brought out the Pennsylvania National Guard. A curfew was imposed across multiple districts as mobs of thousands rampaged through the streets. Thirty police officers were injured: including a female officer who was hit by a car.
powerboatr

bblhd672 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:44 pm Impeach Obama for Inciting Black Lives Matter Riots
http://www.danielgreenfield.org/2021/01 ... lives.html
On the campaign trail for Biden in Philadelphia Obama had ranted, "We can't abandon those protesters who inspired us. We've got to channel their activism into action, we can't just imagine a better future. We've got to fight for it."

A week later, massive riots broke out in Philly that brought out the Pennsylvania National Guard. A curfew was imposed across multiple districts as mobs of thousands rampaged through the streets. Thirty police officers were injured: including a female officer who was hit by a car.
yep. he should be for this and the whopper he and killary told at andrews about the Benghazi attacks
fair is fair, but GOP seems to lack the needed cuevos to get the ball rolling
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

srothstein wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:26 pm Maybe, but more immediately it’s to ensure that he cannot run again in 2024. If the impeachment ends in conviction, he cannot be president in the future. Their biggest fear is that people will be so disgusted by Biden/Harris's actions that voters will easily re-elect Trump in either the next cycle or the one following.
TAM, I agree that this is the purpose of it, their fear that he will run again. I don't think he would even without the impeachment. It would make much more sense to me for him to be the "king-maker" by endorsing and campaigning for someone else. He could almost guarantee that who he says to elect would be elected, and the stupidest part of the Democratic revenge is that it makes him even more powerful this way. Go ahead and make him a martyr to his cause and see how many people vote for his candidates.

But there is one minor technical correction. He could be convicted of the impeachment and not barred from running for office. It is highly unlikely this would happen, because the conviction takes a two-thirds vote while the bar is a simple majority, but it is a possibility. I do not think he will be convicted, but that is also a possibility still. I am thinking it will be a sixty forty split on conviction and they need 67 to win.
srothstein, here is my logic, FWIW, IF he is convicted.....
Article 1 Section 3, Clauses 6 & 7:
The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments.  When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath or affirmation.  When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two-thirds of the members present.

Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States; but the party convicted shall nonetheless be liable and subject to indictment, trial, judgment and punishment, according to law.

Article 2 Section 4: The president, vice-president and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.
I take that to mean that, if convicted, Trump would be barred in the future from "hold[ing] and enjoy[ing] any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States"......including the presidency. If you read that differently than I do, I’m open to suggestions.

Of course, as you point out, conviction would require 67 votes which the Dems don’t have. Whether or not Trump's sponsorship of a future candidate would be an albatross or a blessing is certainly open for discussion. I would hope for it to be a blessing, but given the Democrat Steno Pool (AKA “the media”), I’m not certain exactly how that would be permitted, but the language of the Constitution seems fairly clear to me regarding his own future prospects as a candidate.

Also, the GOP seems determined to step on its own crank at every turn for the past few years, so it seems to me that it really needs some new leadership blood if it intends to survive.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"