impeachment this week or not

Anything else
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

Jusme wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:18 pm This whole thing is a charade to punish Trump for having the audacity, to win an election that they were so sure would be won by FeloniaVonPantsuit.
Maybe, but more immediately it’s to ensure that he cannot run again in 2024. If the impeachment ends in conviction, he cannot be president in the future. Their biggest fear is that people will be so disgusted by Biden/Harris's actions that voters will easily re-elect Trump in either the next cycle or the one following.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
parabellum
Has liked: 18 times
Liked: 33 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:26 pm
Jusme wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:18 pm This whole thing is a charade to punish Trump for having the audacity, to win an election that they were so sure would be won by FeloniaVonPantsuit.
Maybe, but more immediately it’s to ensure that he cannot run again in 2024. If the impeachment ends in conviction, he cannot be president in the future. Their biggest fear is that people will be so disgusted by Biden/Harris's actions that voters will easily re-elect Trump in either the next cycle or the one following.
I don’t think enough Rs will be willing to self destruct just yet, aside from mittens Romney, Collins and maybe few more. I’m not sure they’ll get to the 67 number...
American Patriot Coalition
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

The only good news is that while the Senate is wasting our tax dollars and their time on this political kabuki theatre it's that much less time they can spend passing more unconstitutional attempts to deny us of our God given rights.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
srothstein
Has liked: 76 times
Liked: 67 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:26 pm Maybe, but more immediately it’s to ensure that he cannot run again in 2024. If the impeachment ends in conviction, he cannot be president in the future. Their biggest fear is that people will be so disgusted by Biden/Harris's actions that voters will easily re-elect Trump in either the next cycle or the one following.
TAM, I agree that this is the purpose of it, their fear that he will run again. I don't think he would even without the impeachment. It would make much more sense to me for him to be the "king-maker" by endorsing and campaigning for someone else. He could almost guarantee that who he says to elect would be elected, and the stupidest part of the Democratic revenge is that it makes him even more powerful this way. Go ahead and make him a martyr to his cause and see how many people vote for his candidates.

But there is one minor technical correction. He could be convicted of the impeachment and not barred from running for office. It is highly unlikely this would happen, because the conviction takes a two-thirds vote while the bar is a simple majority, but it is a possibility. I do not think he will be convicted, but that is also a possibility still. I am thinking it will be a sixty forty split on conviction and they need 67 to win.
Steve Rothstein
parabellum
Has liked: 18 times
Liked: 33 times

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t there a subtle issue that for them to impeach Trump and for it to stick, he actually has to be a sitting President. Right now, he’s just a private citizen, so that will be another constitutional hurdle. Not to mention the clearly partisan “presiding officer” rather then Justice Roberts....
American Patriot Coalition
John
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 21 times

parabellum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 pm Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t there a subtle issue that for them to impeach Trump and for it to stick, he actually has to be a sitting President. Right now, he’s just a private citizen, so that will be another constitutional hurdle. Not to mention the clearly partisan “presiding officer” rather then Justice Roberts....
There are quite a few people making the argument that he shouldn’t or can’t be impeached because he’s a former president. I think I heard someone talking about there only being a single case in history where there was a former political figure impeached after they’d left office.
William Worth Belknap was impeached, tried in the Senate, but ultimately acquitted.

The obvious caveat being that Belknap wasn’t president.
NRA Life Member
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

I pasted the following from the Unites States Constitution.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The above is from article ONE section 3 of our constitution. notice it states the the CHIEF JUSTICE SHALL PRESIDE.. shall is definitive. its not maybe or perhaps or could . Its mandated as SHALL.

so how in the clear blue sky is senator patrick leahy going to be the presiding justice???
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

powerboatr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:02 pm I pasted the following from the Unites States Constitution.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The above is from article ONE section 3 of our constitution. notice it states the the CHIEF JUSTICE SHALL PRESIDE.. shall is definitive. its not maybe or perhaps or could . Its mandated as SHALL.

so how in the clear blue sky is senator patrick leahy going to be the presiding justice???

Because Trump is no longer a sitting president. He is being impeached as a private citizen. Roberts, could have presided, but he has gone full libtard, and recused himself.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
powerboatr

Jusme wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 pm
powerboatr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:02 pm I pasted the following from the Unites States Constitution.

Because Trump is no longer a sitting president. He is being impeached as a private citizen. Roberts, could have presided, but he has gone full libtard, and recused himself.
YES but the document we hold dear does not give supreme court chief justice the option to not preside. the constitution is very clear . chief justice SHALL preside. this is the problem, one side only wants the law of land followed when they are not in power. Its up to us to hold then to the fire and pressure.

same as scotus already ruled presidential EOs are considered law. they ruled obama daca was a legal law. therefore trump couldn't not stop or change it. SO how does biden get a pass on 17 EOs to change trumps EO's? shis complete crap is why our country is so divided. you and and i are expected to follow laws, but not elected officials. :twisted: :twisted:
powerboatr

let me add one more.
if the chief justice is required under the constitution to preside over the senate trail and refuses to carry out his duties under the the oath he swore to uphold, shouldn't we demand the house impeach said justice for failure to uphold his sworn duties of office.

i sent the very same question to my congressman lance gooden today

and leahy just swore in the senators and stated under the constitution they must sign to assure they are doing their constitutional duties....... :naughty: