To Get or Not to Get

Anything else
Tex1961
Has liked: 5 times
Liked: 11 times

MY FFL

I've debated on getting my FFL for the past year or so. My Pro's VS Con's run about 51% Con and 49% Pro... My breakdown is pretty simple... I don't know if I would do a lot with it.. VS The possible hassle of dealing with BATF.... A little background and also why I'm starting to lean more towards going for it.

Currently I am both an LTC instructor and run a small home based business selling amongst other items laser engraved and cut gun accessories... Grips, base plates, etc... I'm already setup with my business including website, yada, yada.. So getting my FFL doesn't require much background work to get setup... Quick application, fingerprints and pretty much done.

ATF is pretty clear that if your going to get your FFL it's NOT for personal use. No real problem there, I can throw out that I do FFL transfers and maybe even scrounge up some used firearms and put them up for sale.. Pretty much puts me as a legitimate FFL... And with my websites already dedicated to firearms training and accessories it's a no brainer....

Now to the crux of the matter... What is driving me over to the PRO side.... Our lovely new POTUS and his henchmen.... All anti-gun and want to restrict more of our rights... I'm thinking that by emersing myself more into the industry may help on a personal level if you know what I mean.. Better legal access to items... Nothing nefarious at all, just more embedded....

So.. That's where I am.. Just looking for thoughts and maybe some wisdom from anyone who is or was were I am...
Texas LTC instructor
NRA Pistol instructor
RSO
www.tejasproducts.com
www.ltsfirearms.com
jason812
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 77 times

I'm in the same boat and wish I had a good answer. I'm just about finished with fixtures on my lathe to chamber barrels. I would like to do outside work and know I need an FFL if I do so but don't really know if I want to deal with the hassle of the current government. I already have my LLC, sales tax permit, and federal EIN. I realize that the government probably already knows I own firearms and am really not worried about that aspect when it comes time for confiscation but really just the hassle of dealing with the ATF.

Then I wake up this morning and think if I had my FFL, I wonder how much I could bring in doing Cerakote. I'm really torn between getting one or not.
Why is it so hard for politicians to understand "shall not be infringed?"
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

I have toyed with the idea myself. But I am leaning the other way, since the stolen election, for the following reasons. The ATF, has already begun,targeting legal businesses, for simply selling firearm accessories, that should not even fall under their purview.
I would think that any new FFL licensees, would immediately be over scrutinized, harassed, and subjected to stricter standards, than previously existing ones. Especially, small mom and pop operations, due to their limited ability to litigate. With Obiden, in the WH, I think he will "turn the dogs loose", and give them free rein to interpret their regulations any way they see fit.
These are just my opinions, and worth every penny you paid for them.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

I've also thought about it myself. I'm in the no camp personally because I don't think it's worth the time or resources to maintain a part time business as an FFL/SOT for 2A perks. I figure that if I do go for it, I'll be doing transfers only, with 95+% being inter-FFL transfers. That is, I will be buying guns as an investment, then selling them on Gunbroker or something and shipping them out to FFLs to transfer to the customer. I may do an odd face to face transfer every now and then to people I know as a courtesy. Now in order to make the ATF happy about my business, I'd have to have a constant flow of firearms with the intent to make money. The ATF will roll by at least once a year to check all the paperwork and make sure I'm actually running a business. It's just not worth it for me. I like guns and all, but not nearly that much. To me, there are better ways to make money. Of course, your mileage may vary.

To the point of the new administration, there's a downside to the idea. Let's say you do get an FFL, then the new administration bans all the fun toys you own personally. You'd have to transfer the toys to your business to maintain legal possession. Now not only are the toys tied to the license, the ATF now knows exactly what guns you have, and they will check them every inspection until you relinquish your license (voluntarily or not), in which case, you'd have to sell all of them off or give them up. If you don't transfer those guns before the new administration bans all the fun toys, then, um... You can figure out on your own what you'll want to do then. I'll leave it at that.
Tex1961
Has liked: 5 times
Liked: 11 times

You guys make some good points for sure.. Since I'm really not interested in NFA, or anything like that, mostly very simple FFL transfers and such.. Also while I currently can't engrave metal with my current laser setup I am thinking in the future of getting a metal engraver.. I'm already in the engraving business so it would be a natural progression... I have been approached many times over the years to engrave firearms but I couldn't because I didn't have the equipment nor do I have an FFL, so I can't receive any serialized parts anyway... I do agree about them having more info about me though... I dunno... Still thinking on it...
Texas LTC instructor
NRA Pistol instructor
RSO
www.tejasproducts.com
www.ltsfirearms.com