What Happened to the old forum?

Anything else
flowrie
Liked: 4 times

Does anyone know what happened to the old forum? I can no longer access it.
Where is everyone? except for the administrator I am the only to post anything since the new forum began.
Just curious.
Thanks!
Russell
Site Admin
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 111 times

Hi flowrie,

Welcome to the "new" Texas3006.com forum!

The other forum (www.texaschlforum.com) is unrelated to this one, other than that's the forum we linked to for quite a while on our website.

I am still not sure of the status or why TexasCHLForum has been down for so long. However because of it being down, we decided to go ahead and make our own forum instead of waiting for the other one to come back online.

We hope this new forum will become a good substitute/co-star to the CHL forum! We are still working on getting everything set up well.
warnmar10
Has liked: 5 times
Liked: 13 times

Except for an obscure link in the header texas3006.com landing page has no mention of a forum. It should be a prominent IMHO. I would email all my members letting them know.

I found the forum this morning with a Google search. I was searching for what happened to "the old forum." I'm not sure when it went down but I was unaware of it until this morning. That's how important "the old forum" is to me. If it comes back one day, I suppose I will read about it here but you can't make me care.

As your new forum grows and becomes more active please resist the temptation to keep adding more and more categories and forums. If more forums are simply too irresistible then please consider sub-forums of existing rather than new top-level categories or forums. A whole page of forums to filter through requires more time to process than I'm willing to invest. Not going to do it.

If you're going to have rules, please just say what they are and leave out any jailhouse lawyer speak. I was embarrassed on behalf the author of the TCHLF rules when I attempted to read them.

Be consistent. I received no less than four TCHLF rule 9 deletions. Rule 9 in case you forgot is basically no gratuitous cop bashing. I was called out once for observing after a bad cop incident caught on tape that "at least he didn't shoot the dog." My post was deleted by a moderator within minutes. Interestingly enough, Mr. Cotton made almost word for word the same observation a few days later and his post was never deleted. Go figure. My other infractions were similar, glib = bashing I suppose.

Good luck. I hope it is a success.
Russell
Site Admin
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 111 times

warnmar10 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 am Except for an obscure link in the header texas3006.com landing page has no mention of a forum. It should be a prominent IMHO. I would email all my members letting them know.

I found the forum this morning with a Google search. I was searching for what happened to "the old forum." I'm not sure when it went down but I was unaware of it until this morning. That's how important "the old forum" is to me. If it comes back one day, I suppose I will read about it here but you can't make me care.

As your new forum grows and becomes more active please resist the temptation to keep adding more and more categories and forums. If more forums are simply too irresistible then please consider sub-forums of existing rather than new top-level categories or forums. A whole page of forums to filter through requires more time to process than I'm willing to invest. Not going to do it.

If you're going to have rules, please just say what they are and leave out any jailhouse lawyer speak. I was embarrassed on behalf the author of the TCHLF rules when I attempted to read them.

Be consistent. I received no less than four TCHLF rule 9 deletions. Rule 9 in case you forgot is basically no gratuitous cop bashing. I was called out once for observing after a bad cop incident caught on tape that "at least he didn't shoot the dog." My post was deleted by a moderator within minutes. Interestingly enough, Mr. Cotton made almost word for word the same observation a few days later and his post was never deleted. Go figure. My other infractions were similar, glib = bashing I suppose.

Good luck. I hope it is a success.

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

We can't email everybody (way too many members for that!), but we did share it out on our Facebook page, and will be pushing app updates soon that have a link to the forum in the app.

I do indeed want to keep the forums simple, I find no need for a large amount of categories. This will likely be it aside from perhaps a few additions here or there as requests come in for them.

The rules will also be kept simple. The rules here basically boil down to "be civil".

Thanks for joining!
SQLGeek
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 19 times

Facebook is where I saw that this forum was active. There is another, big Texas gun oriented forum that I won't link to out of respect for Russell. I do like having this forum as a place to discuss carry specific topics which don't get a lot of cover in the other forum.

I have seen that the old Texas CHL Forum is down after a catastrophic attempt to update the forum software. It is being worked on but I don't know when, or if, it will be back.
<This space intentionally left blank.>
Teamless

Per Charles-
“ there was a catastrophic failure during a software upgrade. It may prove fatal, even with a database and “files” backup.”

He went on to say that he has been working with tech-support but nothing is working so far

With that, Russell, thanks for bringing this online
Vol Texan
Has liked: 8 times
Liked: 56 times

I'm a huge fan of the TexasCHLForum, and I look forward to the day when it comes back online.
But nature abhors a vacuum (as do I), and I'm glad that Russell has added this one so I can ease the withdrawal jitters that I've been having since Charles' site went down!

I'm glad to having this new outlet to seek information about gun issues.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com | Texas3006 moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

Vol Texan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 pm I'm a huge fan of the TexasCHLForum, and I look forward to the day when it comes back online.
But nature abhors a vacuum (as do I), and I'm glad that Russell has added this one so I can ease the withdrawal jitters that I've been having since Charles' site went down!

I exchanged emails with Charles about it. I’m of the opinion that it probably won’t be coming back if it hasn’t by now. It’s been what, 3 weeks now? It irks me no end because I had so much content there that I often referred to. I had a post there about my dad's Iwo Jima experience which was the highest ranked search result on google for searches about Cushman’s Pocket. Now it’s gone. :cry:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
Dave
Has liked: 2 times
Liked: 3 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:32 pm I exchanged emails with Charles about it. I’m of the opinion that it probably won’t be coming back if it hasn’t by now. It’s been what, 3 weeks now? It irks me no end because I had so much content there that I often referred to. I had a post there about my dad's Iwo Jima experience which was the highest ranked search result on google for searches about Cushman’s Pocket. Now it’s gone. :cry:
That’s a shame. Normally I’d suggest looking through the site’s backups for stuff like that, but if they haven’t restored the backup by now I assume that means something went wrong with that process.
SQLGeek
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 19 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:32 pm
Vol Texan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 pm I'm a huge fan of the TexasCHLForum, and I look forward to the day when it comes back online.

I exchanged emails with Charles about it. I’m of the opinion that it probably won’t be coming back if it hasn’t by now. It’s been what, 3 weeks now? It irks me no end because I had so much content there that I often referred to. I had a post there about my dad's Iwo Jima experience which was the highest ranked search result on google for searches about Cushman’s Pocket. Now it’s gone. :cry:
That's a true shame, I'm sorry. I had many bookmarked threads from there over the years myself but nothing like that.
<This space intentionally left blank.>