CHL forum

Anything else
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 118 times

Does anyone have any light to shed on the technical issues texaschlforum.com seems to be experiencing? Every other time I go there, it seems like the site is down for a while. I’d hate to permanently lose access to all of the content (including my own) over there. It has been a good reference resource until now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 213 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:33 am Does anyone have any light to shed on the technical issues texaschlforum.com seems to be experiencing? Every other time I go there, it seems like the site is down for a while. I’d hate to permanently lose access to all of the content (including my own) over there. It has been a good reference resource until now.
Crickets from the owner, who probably has it as the lowest priority on his list. I keep thinking one day it is going to go down and never come back up. Might be time to start copying/pasting content from there to here.
The Annoyed Man

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:08 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:33 am Does anyone have any light to shed on the technical issues texaschlforum.com seems to be experiencing? Every other time I go there, it seems like the site is down for a while. I’d hate to permanently lose access to all of the content (including my own) over there. It has been a good reference resource until now.
Crickets from the owner, who probably has it as the lowest priority on his list. I keep thinking one day it is going to go down and never come back up. Might be time to start copying/pasting content from there to here.
Sure… if you can access it. I haven’t been able to for 2 days now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

The Annoyed Man

Well crap. My login session timed out on that forum, and now I can’t even get logged back in at all.

bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 213 times

I was able to access that forum for the first time today a few minutes ago.
RoyGBiv
Has liked: 6 times
Liked: 4 times

I've seen issues with gun related forums over the past several months. Pistol-Forum has had similar-behaving DDoS attacks... this seems to be what is happening at CHLForum... I'm unable to access the site for a while (from minutes to days), then it runs fine for a few hours, then start over with the problems again.

I assume that Charles is not investing the time and $$ to protect the site from DDoS gun-haters, but, that's just a guess.. He's not approved a new member request since 2021 (newest member join date was Feb 2021) and doesn't reply to requests for password resets from even long-time members. I certainly appreciate that he's busy with NRA stuff, but, his not turning over the maintenance role to one of his Admin/Mods makes a statement in itself.
warnmar10
Has liked: 5 times
Liked: 13 times

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:52 am. . . but, his not turning over the maintenance role to one of his Admin/Mods makes a statement in itself.
Probably still crafting the Jr. Admin Rules.
KBCraig
Has liked: 165 times
Liked: 106 times

Speaking of other forums, opencarry.org used to be one of the best. For a variety of reasons, it's a shell of what it used to be, and administration is completely hands off.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
rotor
Has liked: 10 times
Liked: 21 times

Down as of the time this is posted. If you have files you want get them when you get on if you get on. The site is dead as far as I am concerned.
The Annoyed Man

Crap. They’re down again over there. I’m beginning to care less and less. My only gripe is that I’d like to be able to recover the content of some of my more memorable (for me) posts.