HOG Hunt

Anything else
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

He only wants to shoot hogs with minty fresh breath! :mrgreen:

That tree looks like a dead tree fell across it, causing it to grow around it. The dead tree has since rotted away.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

got out there today, of course rain made the red clay hiding just under the leaves and sand pretty slippery :mrgreen:

we set up and sat and waited until just before dark. nothing by woodpeckers and the biggest blue jays i have seen in sometime
but it was great quality time with the misses

yes i parked the truck around the corner behind some trees after we got set up. :D
You must LOGIN to view the files attached to this post.
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
powerboatr

four days of no rain....barely any corn on the ground but no piggies. one on sunday after 10 pm. looks good. tracks everywhere,
but no luck, just cold

did take out the east texas MULE on a budget truckster :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

no more pics as it reached its limit
powerboatr

we all need a funny tale
Sunday we decided we would run up to the lease on monday morning early. weather was to be good and its come to the point if we dont get a pig, then we are done driving this far to stare at wildlife
weather guys said 45 or so early morning
the previous Thursday we sat for hours and only saw an opossum eating candy canes i left for the pigs

sunday at around 8 pm i went to bed as we were leaving at 2am.
BAM out like a light with that good sleep that makes you feel like you slept for a day........I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to go, only to look at the clock and it read 9 PM :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
so for the next 3 hrs i starred at the ceiling :o

i get up at 1am and make us breakfast burritos and we have 3 or 4 cups of coffee, pack snacks, etc and get ready to go. Load up truck with rifles and pistols and off we go.
we arrive at the lease around 345AM, and roll slowly the 1/2 mile or so to the truck we use as an elevated place for the blind. Did i say its DARK as a well. we are talking friday the 13th dark and creepy

mind you the outside temp read 45 at home and now was below 40. SO i quickly set up the blind and got ready to sit and wait.
it started getting colder by the minute and i decided to park the truck next to the blind and we sat in the truck to stay warm. You know it takes about 20 minutes for your eyes to start playing tricks on you in the DARK. mind you scary movie freaking dark with strange shadows on the trees. I hit the lock button and my wife almost jumped out of the truck :dance:
outside temps now read 38...WHAT THE HECK
we have a green light flashlight and we take turns scanning the area for critters about every 10 minutes. we saw a HUGE raccoon, he should have made the gieco commercial.

around 530 am it starts to get some light flowing in from behind us as the sun starts its journey.
well i said out loud, if we dont see something by 630, we are leaving.
around 6 , my wife says DAMMM look at those two coyotes, she shines the light and i see two BIG critters in a light grey, maybe 40 yards away. as we watch them, i see they are not coyotes, but big piggies, searching around the backside of the feeder throw.
here is were it gets funny
my rifle is in the back seat, i cant safely reach it and i cant open the door the get it, without making noise as well as setting off the parking lights, which surely will scare off the targets
so we watch these two for 3 or 4 minutes and they leave. I said to my wife that i never heard the feeder go off at 530
hindsight i should have opened the door and got the rifle. these critters were perfect , about 3 1/2 feet long and 2 or so tall and round.

by now its light and i go look at the feeder, yep it didnt go off...its timer is in pieces on the ground :doh: :doh:
guess some critter got mad ..so its held now with tape and rope
so we get home around 8 30 and had breakfast again :D
going back up on thursday to fix it .
i had forgotten just how dark it gets in the woods with no moon, actually it was a 1/4 moon but never came up over us until nearly 6.
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

I am starting to get a kick out of your stories of this illusive hog hunt. Being a long time hunter, might I suggest you reconsider some of your hunting strategies. :mrgreen:
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Dark plays tricks with your eyes, and ears. Every sound seems amplified. Things you would swear are off to the right, suddenly appear to the left. Cold rain, etc, only seem to aggravate the situation, as well as the hunter.

Great post. I can relate to waking fully refreshed, thinking I had slept through the night and into the next day, only to discover, that it has been less than an hour.

Weather prognosticator, is the only profession I know, where you can be wrong at least 50% of the time, and still keep a job. I always plan on it being at least 10 degrees, hotter or colder, than what is predicted. and rain gear, is a must, even when no rain is predicted, for hundreds of miles.

The timer sounds like it fell victim to raccoons. They are naturally curious, and destructive. They also don't understand cause and effect, like the fact that without the timer, no food is forthcoming.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
powerboatr

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:54 pm I am starting to get a kick out of your stories of this illusive hog hunt. Being a long time hunter, might I suggest you reconsider some of your hunting strategies. :mrgreen:
us to, we decided the last visit if it was not productive at seeing any animals we would stop wasting the fuel and time to drive 2hrs up , plus the day it takes to clean the mud off and out of the expedition. :D
so this last trip, i guess the piggies felt they needed to make a show

we had been up there all hrs of the night and never saw a critter, only tracks and proof they were there. i am frugal so the game camera expense with live photos was not an option

now we have proof they run around 1/2 hr or so before sunrise, tonight/early morning is on for thursday.
we have a new hunter coming down this weekend to set up on the other parts of the property. I imagine he will run them off for a few days, really wish the pwner had not accepted him. his crew are not good land stewards, leave trash every where and tear up the paths.

so this next trip is pay off or we will have to wait until mid week next week.
we only take what we eat, vice some of the KILL them all, folks that hunt across the road.

i know a lot of folks dont take their wives, but mine is great and we enjoy the time
Last edited by powerboatr on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Lightningrocks

powerboatr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:54 pm I am starting to get a kick out of your stories of this illusive hog hunt. Being a long time hunter, might I suggest you reconsider some of your hunting strategies. :mrgreen:
us to, we decided the last visit if it was not productive at seeing any animals we would stop wasting the fuel and time to drive 2hrs up , plus the day it takes to clean the mud off and out of the expedition. :D

we had been up there all hrs of the night and never saw a critter, only tracks and proof they were there. i am frugal so the game camera expense with live photos was not an option

now we have proof they run around 1/2 hr or so before sunset, tonight/early morning is on for thursday.
we have a new hunter coming down this weekend to set up on the other parts of the property. I imagine he will run them off for a few days, really wish the pwner had not accepted him. his crew are not good land stewards, leave trash every where and tear up the paths.

we only take what we eat, vice some of the KILL them all, folks that hunt across the road.

i know a lot of folks dont take their wives, but mine is great and we enjoy the time
I was kidding with you a bit. It actually sounded like you guys were really enjoying your time together. Getting out, enjoying the outdoors and relaxing away from the daily grind are the main reasons for hunting in my humble opinion. Taking an animal is secondary.
powerboatr

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:48 pm

now we have proof they run around 1/2 hr or so before sunset, tonight/early morning is on for thursday.

I was kidding with you a bit. It actually sounded like you guys were really enjoying your time together. Getting out, enjoying the outdoors and relaxing away from the daily grind are the main reasons for hunting in my humble opinion. Taking an animal is secondary.

I am a sailor, and helicopter maytag repairman. it if it flies or floats i can master it.
I have been deep sea fishing most of my life..this sitting and waiting for critters is going on 5 months of actual in the field training :mrgreen: its IMO a steep learning curve. having to sit and be still is hard to do :D thousands of hours at the range is easy as pie compared to being still and quiet sitting in a blind :dance:
but yes quality time off grid as it is , is worth the expense.
if we get one tomorrow , i will figure out a way to post a pic
03Lightningrocks

powerboatr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:48 pm

I am a sailor, and helicopter maytag repairman. it if it flies or floats i can master it.
I have been deep sea fishing most of my life..this sitting and waiting for critters is going on 5 months of actual in the field training :mrgreen: its IMO a steep learning curve. having to sit and be still is hard to do :D thousands of hours at the range is easy as pie compared to being still and quiet sitting in a blind :dance:
but yes quality time off grid as it is , is worth the expense.
if we get one tomorrow , i will figure out a way to post a pic
You need to have good snacks while sitting. :mrgreen: