HOG Hunt

Anything else
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

Russell wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 pm My suggestion takes more effort but dragging an old recliner out there. Maybe a space heater. A TV and a small quiet generator to supply power. Some chips and salsa to snack on and you have everything required for blind hunting.
Don't forget the mini fridge! Might as well bring a stereo too for some music when there isn't anything on TV.
Of coarse. As long as the blue tooth ear buds are working. :mrgreen:
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

Russell wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 pm My suggestion takes more effort but dragging an old recliner out there. Maybe a space heater. A TV and a small quiet generator to supply power. Some chips and salsa to snack on and you have everything required for blind hunting.
Don't forget the mini fridge! Might as well bring a stereo too for some music when there isn't anything on TV.
No need for a mini fridge if it's 35 degrees outside.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

busted the run again this morning, but did go see new property.

i feel like nasa, its always the weather. lease is still like a giant plate of pudding, squishy and slippery.
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
powerboatr

finally got out to lease, feeder still in water, so we moved the blind and will clean off the abandoned truck and use it as an elevated perch over looking the hill stream and pond.
You must LOGIN to view the files attached to this post.
03Lightningrocks

So when are we going to start seeing some pictures of downed hogs? Get out there and make some bacon.
powerboatr

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 pm So when are we going to start seeing some pictures of downed hogs? Get out there and make some bacon.
i hope by end of next week

its been a trying time this year,

we are headed out sat to police up the new bait site and move the current feeder about 3/4 of a mile closer to the property entrance

I have to use my knobby tired golf cart or my expedition to get down to the new hunt site, so clearing the scrapers and crap is a must, as scratching up the truck will land me in hot water with the misses.
the feeder is going to to be either a walk and hump of 970 ish yards ( huntstand app measure) or maybe i can get the cart closer. the property has some deep ruts with water on the few dirt roads/path so i may only be able to get 1/2 to the feeder. i have two large 60 foot or so in length flood ares i need to cross to get to the feeder :D
we borrowed a mule on thursday but the feeder was still in about 6" of water. and i sank pretty fast trying to walk up to it

i may just break down and go buy a gator this week :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and sleep in the dog house a few days :o :dance:
1300 a yr for the lease and only being able to use 1/3 rd this year has really made me reconsider if renewal is worth it. so by august i need to have taken a few hogs or i am out

good part is that there are a good size run of deer and lots of hogs. i saw a turkey on thursday, and lots of ducks on the pond

the new blind site is now elevated about 3 feet and i can lay prone and still see down the gulley and small hill out to i guess 300 yards or so.
03Lightningrocks

Just wondering. Have you set up any trail cams yet to see what kind of hog population you have? I know East Texas has no shortage of hogs.
rotor
Has liked: 10 times
Liked: 21 times

Does it frighten you at all being in a cloth blind like that? I sure would hate to have an angry hog attack me in a cloth blind. We got plenty of them in my area.
powerboatr

rotor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:01 pm Does it frighten you at all being in a cloth blind like that? I sure would hate to have an angry hog attack me in a cloth blind. We got plenty of them in my area.
yes it did frankly, thats why we are about 4 feet off the ground on the steel deck of the flat bed truck.
gives us protection and a better line of sight almost 300 degrees and out to 300 or so yards
pictures gives you an idea how high we are., you can see the truck bed in one pic and the birds view from my eyeline up high
i dont leave the blind out there, we set up a few hours before dusk and wait.

nothing last night, but we had just moved the feeder and it was empty
today we filled it with corn and jello powder, my wife and i walked a circle of 200 feet dropping jello and corn leading to the feeder and some peppermint sticks

plus one weird tree, that thinks its a tie post

the other guy on lease put up trial cameras today on other side of a big cedar at the wallow, so we should be seeing action soon
You must LOGIN to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by powerboatr on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Lightningrocks

powerboatr wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:51 pm , my wife and i walked a circle of 200 feet dropping jello and corn leading to the feeder and some peppermint sticks
Are you after hogs or Elves? :mrgreen: