Hope this is not a bad sign - 1st snake of the year

Anything else
jason812
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 77 times

Its way too early to be messing with these guys.

Yes, I'm a caveman. Bashed its head in with the rock. All I had on me was a .40cal and that would have been too loud.
20210311_192419.jpg
20210311_193449.jpg
You must LOGIN to view the files attached to this post.
Why is it so hard for politicians to understand "shall not be infringed?"
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

jason812 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 pm Its way too early to be messing with these guys.

Yes, I'm a caveman. Bashed its head in with the rock. All I had on me was a .40cal and that would have been too loud.20210311_192419.jpg
20210311_193449.jpg
We use to see them at the deer lease all the time. Seeing the darn things would make me so jumpy I would get air born every time a shrub would brush my leg while walking to the stand in the dark. I admit to giving the "caveman" treatment to a few of them myself.
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

I haven't run across any snakes so far this year, but I imagine with it being so warm, after the deep freeze, they will be moving around looking for food.

I have never found a rattler on my property. The only venomous snakes I ever find, are copperheads. They usually get the shovel, or hoe, treatment. Any other snakes, I just leave alone.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
jason812

I wish it were just copperheads. I got one of those last year too, along with 4 rattlers, and a coral snake. We get a coral snake every couple of years and if I had year round water, I would probably be messing with cotton mouths too.

I can't stand it when you're picking them up, they wrap around touch my forearm. Even though they are dead, I drop them every time. But I will step on one and cut it's head off no problem. Just hate touching them.
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

this guy was hanging on the branch at the gate leading to the deer lease yesterday, and yep i think he is over 8 feet. thank goodness after looking at pics i was happy he was only a rat snake. scared the do ooddddooo out of me yesterday as i looked up from the gate to see my wife waving her arms and yelling through the window
snake.jpg
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
jason812

Surprisingly this is only #2 but its the biggest I've killed but not seen. 51" without a head but you can stretch them out. I could feel the vertebrae popping so I put it about 4ft with a head. I need to make sure I have a stick or something with me. All I had was a 2ft piece of drill stem in the back of the truck so I put it on its head and squished it. Almost put in plugs and got it with the .40 but there's too many rocks around. About the same spot as the one earlier this year. Too bad the trophy was broken.
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

I don't mind snakes, even venomous ones (except cottonmouths... screw those guys).

I also don't miss them.

New Hampshire has a small, endangered, very isolated population of timber rattlers in two very remote colonies. Other than that, we don't have any venomous snakes.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
BrownT
Has liked: 1 time

Actually had one of the biggest "oh sh*t" moments today. Had been just strolling in nearby woods and a huge goddamn snake fell on my from the tree. Nearly shat myself on the spot, ended up bashing it with my walking stick. Sadly, now my new Stetson hats is all ruined, gonna need to get another one(or try to fix this, but it's not a very good state). :shock: