Anyone carry a switchblade knife?

1911 vs Glock. The answer is obvious...
bowserb
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 5 times

Thanks again, guys. I decided to not jump in with both feet...just yet. After all, the Sig wasn't my first handgun. Just as I started with a basic DA/SA FN 9mm, I am starting with a toe in the water with this $50 model from BladeHQ.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plu ... int--97033
It frankly is, I believe, comparable to the Kalashnikov from the same company, but with a slide safety switch.
Good luck to us all over the next 2 to 4 years!
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

No switchblades for me.

I do still regularly carry one or two folders. I little Kershaw Blur and or a Cold Steel Recon II Tanto partial serrated.

However, I have migrated a bit more towards fixed blades after Andy's review on a little Obake Skoshi with a 2.4" blade. With most places definitions of what a weapon is with regards to knives this slides underneath those restrictions and I believe can still be carried in most places. I also have it's slightly bigger brother at 3.64" and another John Williams design, a Sakimori that is a LRK due to its blade being 5.76". I mostly carry this larger knife on/in my Duluth firehose pants. There is a place for tools that the sheath clips nicely to and a pocket below that where I tuck the sheath blade into that hides the length of the knife. Some of you have seen or may have noticed me carrying this at a few of our Saturday morning breakfasts.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum
madwildcat
Has liked: 28 times
Liked: 14 times

The Kershaw Blur is a good knife. Carried one for years and never had an issue. Switched over to the OTF for ease of use and speed but still use the Blur for work when needed.
bowserb

Followup on my Boker Plus Strike. A bit of a disappointment. Launched from any position other than open side up (a bit unnatural), the blade often fails to lock open. Held at about 45 degrees from vertical, it locks 90% of the time, but still... I wouldn't carry a handgun that had 10% failures to feed. I've tried Tuf-Glide lube and "exercised" the knife maybe 200 openings. I see where I might try a little 600 grit sandpaper, but I'm going to try more break in first. Just thought I'd pass it on. Maybe $50 is not enough for a basic auto opener.
Pawpaw
Has liked: 52 times
Liked: 29 times

bowserb wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:59 am Followup on my Boker Plus Strike. A bit of a disappointment. Launched from any position other than open side up (a bit unnatural), the blade often fails to lock open. Held at about 45 degrees from vertical, it locks 90% of the time, but still... I wouldn't carry a handgun that had 10% failures to feed. I've tried Tuf-Glide lube and "exercised" the knife maybe 200 openings. I see where I might try a little 600 grit sandpaper, but I'm going to try more break in first. Just thought I'd pass it on. Maybe $50 is not enough for a basic auto opener.
Have you tried loosening the pivot screw? A tiny tension adjustment at that point (if it's possible on that knife) makes a world of difference.
bowserb

Pawpaw wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:03 pm Have you tried loosening the pivot screw? A tiny tension adjustment at that point (if it's possible on that knife) makes a world of difference.
Hey, thanks, Pawpaw. One end of the pivot has a 3/8" diameter flat head with five holes around the perimeter and maybe a tiny torx fitting in the center. I wonder if there is a special tool for that (just what I need...another area of interest with specialized tools to buy!) Maybe it's time to look for a knife forum--or maybe I should have looked for a knife forum before buying a knife. Thanks.
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

No, I don’t. I do EDC a knife, but I don't bother with a switchblade because I can deploy an open knife with a flick of the wrist very nearly as quickly as anyone can deploy a switchblade. That way, I don’t have to worry about the mechanical complexity or the legalities.

The closest thing I have to a "switchblade" is a Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto Blur with "assisted" opening, and I haven't actually carried it in several years.

My current primary EDC is a left-handed Spyderco PM II. Alternatively, I sometimes carry a Benchmade 940-2 Osborne.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
bowserb

Pawpaw wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:03 pm Have you tried loosening the pivot screw? A tiny tension adjustment at that point (if it's possible on that knife) makes a world of difference.
Hey Pawpaw, I'm back. I couldn't tell by looking, but the center of the pivot screw is a T8, and I just happened to have that size Torx bit. Now the surprise. Loosening the screw made the problem worse. The blade swung so fast, it bounced off the stop faster than I could release the button for it to lock. Apparently that was the problem I had, although to a lesser extent. I tightened it a bit, and now it locks every time regardless of how the knife is held. Glad to know that, as I suspect it may need to be adjusted from time to time.

Oh, Annoyed Man. I've looked a bit, and it seems automatic knives are almost a non issue at least here in Texas. Under 5.5" and no problem except schools, hospitals, and government buildings. I wanted a knife i could retrieve and deploy with one hand...and carry in a 30.06 posted place. This one works. Now I'm curious about others. Oh well, knives are cheaper than handguns, they don't take up much space, and they don't require ammo.

Thanks once again, guys.
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

bowserb wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:34 pm Oh, Annoyed Man. I've looked a bit, and it seems automatic knives are almost a non issue at least here in Texas. Under 5.5" and no problem except schools, hospitals, and government buildings. I wanted a knife i could retrieve and deploy with one hand...and carry in a 30.06 posted place. This one works. Now I'm curious about others. Oh well, knives are cheaper than handguns, they don't take up much space, and they don't require ammo.

Thanks once again, guys.
I realize that they’re a non-issue here in Texas, but I want knives that I don’t have to worry about traveling with them, and I just don’t see any tactical or handiness advantage of an automatic over a good folder that flips open quickly with one hand, justifying the increased cost. I have no philosophical problem with automatics at all. They’re just not how I roll.....you know, just like,some people prefer carrying a revolver to carrying a semiauto.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
madwildcat
Has liked: 28 times
Liked: 14 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:56 pm
I realize that they’re a non-issue here in Texas, but I want knives that I don’t have to worry about traveling with them, and I just don’t see any tactical or handiness advantage of an automatic over a good folder that flips open quickly with one hand, justifying the increased cost. I have no philosophical problem with automatics at all. They’re just not how I roll.....you know, just like, some people prefer carrying a revolver to carrying a semiauto.
...And I know many a revolver carrier that would win in a faceoff with semiauto...every time :mrgreen: . A lot of EDC of choice comes down to how comfortable you are with it, and how good you are with it. I think the same applies with the knives. My grandfather had a old folder he carried in the war that he could reliably use up close and from a distance if needed. He definitely could have taken me with multiple OTFs and probably a gun.

That being said, make sure whatever you choose works all the time. One of the reasons so many kept using their revolvers is they went bang every time and weren't as mechanically complicated.

My OTF is cheap, but its always opened when needed and survived some decent beating up.