New toy enroute

1911 vs Glock. The answer is obvious...
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:53 pm Good lord almighty! That thing packs a wallop! I'm sorry but I started laughing after your first couple shots. WOW!
I’ve fired his other one, and you’ve got no idea. They are absolute cannons. They blow perfect rings of flame out of the muzzle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
AndyC
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 68 times

The Silver Mage and his golden ring:

The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:02 am The Silver Mage and his golden ring:

Exactly. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

AndyC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm I don't want to bore anyone with my new toy, but I went back to shoot and got someone to video me:

Wow! Talk about the definition of a "hand cannon"!
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

IIRC, you mentioned the grip style may be temporary until break in complete to manage recoil. So, your grip may change after break in anyway.

Without knowing too much about the rounds I can’t imagine it being too dissimilar to firing my 5.5” .44mag revolver. Yours may even be slightly better to shoot as far as recoil and concussive effects.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum
The Annoyed Man

C-dub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:34 am IIRC, you mentioned the grip style may be temporary until break in complete to manage recoil. So, your grip may change after break in anyway.

Without knowing too much about the rounds I can’t imagine it being too dissimilar to firing my 5.5” .44mag revolver. Yours may even be slightly better to shoot as far as recoil and concussive effects.
I have a 5” .44 magnum which I’ve owned for 25 years now, and while the recoil is pronounced with standard Federal 240 grain JHP, it’s not as pronounced as with Andy's .44 automag. I have no problem controlling recoil with my Model 29, even though muzzle rise and torque are substantial. But when shooting Andy's automag, my grip on the gun was threatened. In fact, I had a ND because I still had my finger on the trigger while trying to bring down the violent muzzle rise, and an unintentional 2nd round was touched off. Thankfully, the errant round went in the general direction of the target, and no harm was done except to my pride.

Edited to add the following: I know one difference between his gun and mine is the grip design/angle. My Model 29 has the excellent rubber grips with finger grooves that S&W uses on some of their N-frame revolvers. The grips on Andy's gun lacked the tacky feel of the rubber grips, and the front strap lacked the finger grooves. So, for me, controlling recoil was more difficult than what I’m accustomed to. The Automag tended to break my grip a bit loose at the apex of recoil, which in turn loosened my trigger finger from holding the trigger all the way back; and I found myself reflexively re-squeezing the grips harder on the downstroke. It was that re-squeezing that caused the ND because my trigger finger hadn’t completely broken contact with the trigger yet.....and it caught me quite by surprise. It’s probably something I could train out of myself fairly easily, but it had never been an issue with my S&W with its much heavier double action trigger and tackier grips.

I will also say that my impression from the Automag was of a very high bullet velocity. I don’t know is what kind of load data Andy’s load produces, but the Federal American Eagle 240 grain JSP I’ve used for years as range ammo has a nominal 1270 FPS from a 4” barrel (mine is 5”). Andy's feels faster than that, but I don’t know the bullet weight of his load.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyC

TAM is the only guy whom I've ever seen double-tap an AutoMag :mrgreen:
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:28 am TAM is the only guy whom I've ever seen double-tap an AutoMag :mrgreen:
It’s not an experience I’d care to recreate. :lol:

AndyC

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 amI will also say that my impression from the Automag was of a very high bullet velocity. I don’t know is what kind of load data Andy’s load produces, but the Federal American Eagle 240 grain JSP I’ve used for years as range ammo has a nominal 1270 FPS from a 4” barrel (mine is 5”). Andy's feels faster than that, but I don’t know the bullet weight of his load.
The handloads on the right - 240gr Hornady XTP HP bullet:

Anyway, now I have a set of twins:
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

2 Inspector Callaghan’s?
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum