dry fire?

1911 vs Glock. The answer is obvious...
kpflounder
Has liked: 83 times
Liked: 11 times

Who practices dry fire? I've heard about mantis x and I'm intrigued. Thoughts? Anyone use it?
I'd love to practice draw and fire and be able to tell how accurate I'm shooting.
My goal was start the road to competition shooting. Current state of America has put that on the back burner.

Sincerely
The newbie without a signature
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

I've heard good things about the mantis. It can help tremendously with your draw stroke and firing if you don't have an instructor handy. I can see why it's worth the exorbitant amount. Whether it's worth it for you is something else.

I think a good place to start that is a lot cheaper is one of those laser trainers. Laserlyte is one of the most popular brands, but there are others out there for each caliber. They are very useful if you have a double action pistol or a striker fire with double strike capability (Canik, Taurus). That way, you can keep shooting without having to rack. You can still use it for single action firearms just fine, but it's a bit awkward.

What I like to do is train with my Beretta 92 on random targets throughout the house. I like to aim for light switches, door knobs, picture frames, etc. If you see just a red dot on the target, you are golden. If you see a red line on the wall instead of a dot, that means you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. If you pay attention to your shooting, you can probably figure out what that is. You can set up some decent drills or scenarios that include mag reloads if you're into that sort of thing.

As a last tip or hack, whatever you want to call it, you can take a snap cap and carve out the side of the round so when you insert it into the mag, it will A: make it really hard for you to take out, and B: allow you to add racking drills into the overall scenario because the slide won't be able to pick up the top round, which is the carved out snap cap. You can put live rounds underneath the snap cap to weigh down the mag so it feels like a fully loaded pistol. You won't have to worry about a live round going into the chamber because the pistol isn't capable of extracting the aiming laser, and the top round is a snap cap anyway.

One final word of caution, be sure you mentally prepare yourself that you're doing drills with a real gun. Then when you're done be very very diligent to tell yourself that the drill is over, and the gun is loaded with live ammo again (whether it is or not is irrelevant). It is very easy for your mind to think, "Oh, the gun's unloaded. I would know after slapping the trigger 1000 times..." then BOOM.
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

I have laser sights on a couple of my hand guns. I have practiced dry fire by watching the laser point as I pull the trigger. Any movement and that laser will dance all over the wall.