Deliberately uncover a firearm if being harassed?

Carry related chit-chat
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

HondoTX wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 pm If you reveal your handgun you can bet you will be accused of pulling it out and pointing it even if you didn't.
I agree that this is a possibility. There have been folks who called police to report a MWAG (Man with a gun) when the guy was simply going about his normal day with a holstered weapon. My advice is to do your best to stick to what is legal, and above all else stay safe.
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

HondoTX wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 pm If you reveal your handgun you can bet you will be accused of pulling it out and pointing it even if you didn't.
That's a good reason to carry a pink gun. If the complainant claims it was silver or black in color, they're obviously lying.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
blackhorse1
Has liked: 29 times
Liked: 17 times

That's exactly 1 reason why I open carry. My intent to be proactive will be known ahead of time. Now if you still wanna be stupid then it's on you. I choose to skip step #2. You know ahead of time I'm not gonna play kick ball or jacks with you. Now if you're Ray Charles I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Then we'll go to Memphis and have a belated blues event with the late great B.B.King on beale street. 😎
Likes; burning rubber and screaming women :text-lol:
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

blackhorse1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 pm That's exactly 1 reason why I open carry. My intent to be proactive will be known ahead of time. Now if you still wanna be stupid then it's on you. I choose to skip step #2. You know ahead of time I'm not gonna play kick ball or jacks with you. Now if you're Ray Charles I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Then we'll go to Memphis and have a belated blues event with the late great B.B.King on beale street. 😎
That would be the main reason I would think for someone to open carry. I can see where it would make you more susceptible to the MWAG police call but that is not a good enough reason to not open carry. Personally, I don't open carry because I like to surprise my opponent. Your theory is similar to walking a Pit Bull. It would take a seriously deranged individual to attack after seeing one is armed.
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:12 am
blackhorse1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 pm That's exactly 1 reason why I open carry. My intent to be proactive will be known ahead of time. Now if you still wanna be stupid then it's on you. I choose to skip step #2. You know ahead of time I'm not gonna play kick ball or jacks with you. Now if you're Ray Charles I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Then we'll go to Memphis and have a belated blues event with the late great B.B.King on beale street. 😎
That would be the main reason I would think for someone to open carry. I can see where it would make you more susceptible to the MWAG police call but that is not a good enough reason to not open carry. Personally, I don't open carry because I like to surprise my opponent. Your theory is similar to walking a Pit Bull. It would take a seriously deranged individual to attack after seeing one is armed.
I keep hearing people say they want to surprise their opponent. I question how that is possible since you don't know when the attack is going to happen. Since your opponent is the one who would initiate the attack, it sounds like they would be the one who has the element of surprise, not you. Someone posted an article on the other forum awhile back talking about this very thing and it actually changed my way of thinking towards open carry.
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

I think a lot of it too has to do with where you are. Open carrying sure has its advantages, and it is also not a bad idea if you're out, say, at one of our Rudy's breakfasts. It's another thing if you're open carrying while strolling down Park Row in Dallas. If it's the latter, I question your judgment to even being there in the first place.

I personally open carry most of the time. There are times where I'll cover up because it's just more tactful to do so. I'm not exactly out looking for trouble, after all. But my choice surrounding open carrying is merely one out of comfort while carrying.
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

If you can draw from the holster (OC) and place 2 rounds in the "A" zone in say <=1.5 seconds, having to sweep a cover garment will add perhaps less than another 1/2 sec. YMMV.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

Flightmare wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:26 am I keep hearing people say they want to surprise their opponent. I question how that is possible since you don't know when the attack is going to happen. Since your opponent is the one who would initiate the attack, it sounds like they would be the one who has the element of surprise, not you. Someone posted an article on the other forum awhile back talking about this very thing and it actually changed my way of thinking towards open carry.
Exactly. There is no element of surprise on defense.

If you find yourself in a defensive gun use scenario, you've already been surprised.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

I OC 99% of the time. I CC at church, or during the winter, when a coat or jacket covers my gun. I will cover if entering a place posted 30.07. My reasons? Comfort. Trying to “dress around my gun” is more cumbersome for me.
Strogg’s point was well made. I avoid places where I believe my chances of having to use my gun are increased, but as others have said, criminals pick their spots to commit crimes, and anywhere I may be could be a potential place for defensive gun use. I use my SA to try and reduce the chances of having to use my gun. I’ll never know, if my gun in plain sight, has ever deterred, anyone from committing a crime. But I’ll also never know, if my SA has made me appear a difficult target, even when CC. JMHO
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
sewtexas
Has liked: 4 times
Liked: 7 times

years ago, probably 10 or so....I had to go to Walmart after dark, by myself. I was carrying though, and on body. As I was leaving the store I noticed a man notice me, I kept my eye on him as I walked toward my van. He started walking toward me, I veered toward a different vehicle, so did he, I did this one more time, he followed me again. I kept walking, but straightened up, switched around my bags to my left hand, and put my hand under my shirt to my waistband. He knew what I was doing, but I showed nothing, he turned around and walked the other direction, I went to my van, locked my doors, drove home shaking and crying the whole way.
This to say, you don't have to "show" in order to let a harasser know you have a weapon, I could have done the same thing without a weapon, but I don't think I'm that good of an actress.