Under constitutional carry, am I considered “licensed” as far as carrying goes?

Carry related chit-chat
AndyShanks

I don’t have a CHL so I’m unaware of a lot of the intricacies of carrying. I know not having a CHL can incur additional penalties in regards to being in an establishment and being asked to leave, but for the purpose of carrying, is it the same as having a CHL? Example being, anywhere a CHL can go, a CC can go and there not be any discrimination to the latter?

I work in a state office building, my building has 0 information to being able to carry on the premises, but also does not have a single sign posted disallowing it. Come September I intend to take DPS’ instructional course and even potentially go get my CHL and begin carrying. Just not entirely sure if I’m legally allowed to in my building.
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

I know that unlicensed carry was excluded from being allowed to carry on a college campus. So if you want to carry on a college campus (concealed only), you would have to have a license. I forget if there are other locations that were specifically excluded off the top of my head.
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

From Texas Concealed Carry Institute (https://txconcealedcarry.com/):

The passage of Constitutional Carry in Texas was long time coming. For a state that is very pro 2nd Amendment it was a major victory this past June when it was finally accomplished. Many people over the years resented having to get a Texas CHL, now called an LTC (License To Carry), to carry a handgun. Come 9/1/21 that changes, if you meet certain criteria you can carry a handgun open or concealed without an LTC.

Requirements:

1. Must be 21 years of age.
2. Not prohibited by Texas law from possessing a firearm in a public place.
3. Must not have been convicted of Assault Bodily Injury, Deadly Conduct, Terroristic Threat, Disorderly Conduct (discharging or displaying weapon in public);
4. Prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal law.

Constitutional Carry cannot carry in the following places:

1. Any School or Educational institution (Primary/Secondary) and its transportation vehicles or any grounds on which a school sponsored activity is taking place.
2. Polling place on day of election or during early voting.
3. Court or offices utilized by the court. (Attorney General has defined it as the actual room/office 12/21/15)
4. On a race track, meaning horse or dog track.
5. Secured area of airport or terminal building.
6. 1000 feet of the premise of an execution on the day of execution.
7. 51% alcohol establishments.
8. Professional sporting events, high school sporting event, any interscholastic event.
9. Correctional facilities.
10. Civil commitment facilities.
11. Hospitals or nursing homes.
12. Mental hospitals.
13. Amusement parks.
14. Open meeting of a governmental agency.

Other prohibited conduct:

1. Cannot carry while intoxicated.
2. Handgun must be in a holster while openly carrying in public. Cannot have out of holster in public place unless the use of force or deadly force is authorized.
3. Federal Gun Free School Zones – within a 1000 feet of any public or private school is a felony offense if prosecuted. Persons with a carry license issued by a state are exempt.

Any private property owner can prohibit a person carrying Constitutionally by giving the person notice via;
1. Verbal – don’t come in here or you need to leave.
2. Posting of any sign that indicates firearms are prohibited.

Note: LTC holders still must be given notice under Penal Code 30.06 or 30.07

College and Universities:

LTC holders have been able to conceal carry only on college and university campuses including inside buildings since 2016. Commencing 9/1/21 LTC holders and Constitutional carriers can carry open or concealed on campus parking lots, parking garages, roadways, sidewalks. If one does not have an LTC they cannot carry in any buildings. LTC holders may concealed carry in buildings. Effective 9/1/21 LTC holders can carry into college sporting events unless given notice under 30.06, Constitutional carry may not.

Fees for a license:

Starting 9/1/21 there are no fees to the state for an original or renewed LTC.

Benefits to maintain and get a Texas LTC:

1. Ability to purchase firearm without an FBI instant check needed.
2. Carry in 31 other states besides Texas.
3. Under the Texas Labor Code employers cannot prohibit an LTC holder from having a handgun in their vehicle in the company parking area. Non-holders can be prohibited.
4. LTC holders are not subject to felony prosecution under the Federal Gun Free School Zone law.
5. License holder can carry in a hospital, nursing home, amusement park or the meeting of governmental entity unless given notice under 30.06 or 30.07, non holder cannot carry there period.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
srothstein
Has liked: 76 times
Liked: 67 times

AndyShanks wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:14 pm I work in a state office building, my building has 0 information to being able to carry on the premises, but also does not have a single sign posted disallowing it. Come September I intend to take DPS’ instructional course and even potentially go get my CHL and begin carrying. Just not entirely sure if I’m legally allowed to in my building.
State office buildings cannot legally post any signs prohibiting an LTC from carrying, except courts and open meetings and places like listed below as prohibited places. I am not sure if they can forbid an unlicensed person from carrying under the new law. But the important part is that you need to check with your agencies policies as they can still forbid employees from carrying. My agency lets anyone with an LTC carry but forbids us from carrying openly if we are not one of the agency's commissioned peace officers. That includes no open carry if you are a peace officer somewhere else while you also work for them. We also have rules about leaving it in yur desk or any place liek that (you must take it with you if you leave the building, for instance).

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:58 pm From Texas Concealed Carry Institute (https://txconcealedcarry.com/):

Any private property owner can prohibit a person carrying Constitutionally by giving the person notice via;
1. Verbal – don’t come in here or you need to leave.
2. Posting of any sign that indicates firearms are prohibited.

Note: LTC holders still must be given notice under Penal Code 30.06 or 30.07
I just wanted to ensure that everyone knew that oral notice under 30.06 has no specific wording and the same samples given above apply to 30.06 and 30.07. If you get told to leave or not come in (not just a sign), you are committing a crime if you not obey the instruction.
Steve Rothstein
Mike s
Has liked: 1 time
Liked: 6 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:58 pm From Texas Concealed Carry Institute (https://txconcealedcarry.com/):

Fees for a license:

Starting 9/1/21 there are no fees to the state for an original or renewed LTC.
Thanks for posting this. It's a pretty concise roll-up. However, I believe there's still a $40 fee for new & renewal LTCs. It looks like a Senate bill proposed removing fees, but the House didn't take it up.

https://thetexan.news/texas-senate-appr ... carry-fee/