30.06 vs 30.07 and college campuses

Carry related chit-chat
DarkHorseMBA

Hi everyone,
As we know are 2 types of signs that prohibit weapons from being carried on a property that references the penal code. 30.06 does not allow concealed carry, and 30.07 does not allow open carry. If there is a 30.06 sign, does that mean I can still carry, as long as it's open? What is the practicality of something like this, getting odd looks or hassled by local security, who does not understand the laws? I have been conceal carrying, when able, for a few months now. I've never carried open.

My specific situation is...
I'm planning a college tour with my soon-to-be freshman daughter. The campus, Texas A&M, Corpus Christi, has 30.06 signs posted at most entrances. Can I open carry in this situation? Additionally, if it's cold, I may wear a light windbreaker over an OWB holster. Would that be open or concealed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunil
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't checked to web site nor am I familiar with the A&M Corpus Christi campus. But it seems odd that they would have that many 30.06 signs, since A&M College Station, has very few.

30.06 "specifically" prohibits concealed carry by an LTC holder. And Yes, if you wear any cover garment over your gun, then it would be considered concealed.

Can you open carry? That is the million dollar question. By statute you would not be in violation, if they only post 30.06 signage. Would that prevent you from being approached by security and/or campus police? :confusion-shrug: They can also verbally inform you that open carry is prohibited.

Texas college campuses are supposed to post their policies, regarding firearms, on their web site. They should also have a map of areas prohibited. But I can't vouch for that. I would check their web site, and if that is not helpful, contact the school directly.

I can't tell you what to do, but I would be leery of a school that designated very many places as gun free zones. JMHO
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
Mike s
Has liked: 1 time
Liked: 6 times

Welcome to the Forum & congratulations on your daughter's upcoming college experience.

Here's a link to Texas A&M Corpus Christi's handgun policy:

http://academicaffairs.tamucc.edu/rules ... campus.pdf

https://police.tamucc.edu/campus-carry/index.html

Keep in mind the law explicitly PROHIBITS open carry anywhere on a college campus. This includes NO open carry in parking lots, parking garages, sidewalks, walkways, etc on campus.

It is a Class A Misdemeanor to open carry on a college campus, or to conceal carry past a 30.06 sign on a college campus. A Class A or B Misdemeanor conviction will result in the revocation of your LTC.
Last edited by Mike s on Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Mike s wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:02 pm Welcome to the Forum & congratulations on your daughter's upcoming college experience.

Here's a link to UT Corpus Christi's handgun policy:. https://police.tamucc.edu/campus-carry/index.html

Keep in mind the law explicitly PROHIBITS open carry anywhere on a college campus. This includes NO open carry in parking lots, parking garages, sidewalks, walkways, etc on campus.

It is a Class A Misdemeanor to open carry on a college campus, or to conceal carry past a 30.06 sign on a college campus. A Class A or B Misdemeanor conviction will result in the revocation of your LTC.
You are correct, I forgot that Campus carry only allows for Concealed carry.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
oohrah
Liked: 14 times

Ditto mike s. The Campus Carry Law does not allow public campuses to opt out , but they can post 30.06 signs in certain areas, but they have to justify those postings to the legislature. Parking lots, open areas, etc. should not be posted 30.06, only certain buildings like child care centers, sensitive laboratories, and such.
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 117 times

oohrah wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 pm Ditto mike s. The Campus Carry Law does not allow public campuses to opt out , but they can post 30.06 signs in certain areas, but they have to justify those postings to the legislature. Parking lots, open areas, etc. should not be posted 30.06, only certain buildings like child care centers, sensitive laboratories, and such.
It appears that there are a LOT of facilities on campus that are either owned or leased by private entities, who can decide for themselves whether or not to post 30.06. This includes all of the dormitories and the campus banking facility, as well as other on-campus facilities.....thus ensuring that MOST of the campus is off limits to licensed carry.

Of course, not one iota of this has any bearing on whether or not a crazy person or a criminal will carry a gun onto the premises.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
03Lightningrocks
Has liked: 160 times
Liked: 69 times

DarkHorseMBA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 am Hi everyone,
As we know are 2 types of signs that prohibit weapons from being carried on a property that references the penal code. 30.06 does not allow concealed carry, and 30.07 does not allow open carry. If there is a 30.06 sign, does that mean I can still carry, as long as it's open? What is the practicality of something like this, getting odd looks or hassled by local security, who does not understand the laws? I have been conceal carrying, when able, for a few months now. I've never carried open.

I'm planning a college tour with my soon-to-be freshman daughter. The campus, Texas A&M, Corpus Christi, has 30.06 signs posted at most entrances. Can I open carry in this situation? Additionally, if it's cold, I may wear a light windbreaker over an OWB holster. Would that be open or concealed?

Thanks,
Sunil
I had not thought of it until just now but while I see 30.06 signs in all the usual places, I can't think of when I have seen a 30.07 sign. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.
oohrah
Liked: 14 times

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:25 am
DarkHorseMBA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 am Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Sunil
I had not thought of it until just now but while I see 30.06 signs in all the usual places, I can't think of when I have seen a 30.07 sign. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.
You won't ever see a 30.07 sign on a campus, because as mentioned above, open carry is statutorily prohibited on all campuses, public and private.