Ammo Shortage/Range Time

Carry related chit-chat
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Has the ammo shortage, caused a massive reduction in anyone else's range time?
I know that I have cut way down, on the number of rounds I fire when I go. I do a lot of dry fire drills at home, but I used to shoot anywhere from 300 to 500 rounds at each range session. Now I have cut that in half, and concentrate more on mechanics.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
SQLGeek
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 19 times

I've been able to find enough 9mm through Bass Prod and Academy to keep me going thankfully. I have dramatically increased how much shooting I do with .22.

The biggest hit for me is I've stopped reloading as a hobby. I have components but I'm more just sitting on them at this point. I would like to find some jacketed .357 bullets again as I am completely out.
<This space intentionally left blank.>
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

Some Forum members have joined me from time to time to train with Texas Concealed Carry Institute (I have no affiliation, just one of the trainers that I really enjoy). TCCI reportedly has ammo available for students that register for one of their classes here in North Texas.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
C-dub
Has liked: 17 times
Liked: 10 times

My work schedule change 5 years ago did more to limit my range time than any ammo shortage. I work 2x12hr shifts every other weekend and spend more time on the weekend I do have off getting things done around the house that I was busy working the other weekend and couldn't get done.
I am not and have never been an LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Sergeant Mike Smith, who was murdered along with 4 other LEO's on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
NRA Life Member
Si vis pacem, para bellum
flechero
Has liked: 2 times
Liked: 6 times

Inadvertently, yes. I reload and do have ammo/components but the thought of an extended drought has caused me to cut back a bit, out of an abundance of caution.
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

flechero wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:54 am Inadvertently, yes. I reload and do have ammo/components but the thought of an extended drought has caused me to cut back a bit, out of an abundance of caution.
I am in the exact same boat. An added reason for my lack of range time is the rekindling of old hobbies past. That is keeping me quite occupied and pulling my budget away from 2A fun.
Vol Texan
Has liked: 8 times
Liked: 56 times

strogg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:59 pm
flechero wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:54 am Inadvertently, yes. I reload and do have ammo/components but the thought of an extended drought has caused me to cut back a bit, out of an abundance of caution.
I am in the exact same boat. An added reason for my lack of range time is the rekindling of old hobbies past. That is keeping me quite occupied and pulling my budget away from 2A fun.
I wasn’t in that same boat. I was in a different one altogether with my WHOLE gun collection - and it capsized somewhere in international waters.

VolTexan = first one to relate this sad story on this new forum!
:banana-rock: :banana-rock: :text-goodpost:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com | Texas3006 moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry
AndyC
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 68 times

I've mostly been playing with .308 and .410 slug handloads these days.

Welts left in steel plate from pure lead .410 slugs - they hit like Thor's hammer:

I got to shoot my .308 at 500 and 700 yds at a friend's property over New Year - it was nice to be able to establish some dope for those distances, but the wind was blustery. 1st 3 shots at the right of the steel trying to get the range and windage, then the next 2 in the centerline:

sigm4

While my ammo supply is pretty robust, I still don’t like the idea of not being able to replace it at some point in the near future. I’ve got components for a lot of reloading, but same issue about eventual need to replace them.

Couple all this with being the father of three young kids and my free time is almost nada recently. I’ll eventually get the the point where I can make it to the range more regularly but for now it’s a hit or miss proposition.
parabellum
Has liked: 18 times
Liked: 33 times

All of my ammo fell out into the lake during recent boating outing so I had to cut back...somewhat...
American Patriot Coalition