Much Ado about nothing: Constitutional Carry

Carry related chit-chat
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 212 times

Well after much fear mongering, pearl clutching, hand wringing and general hysterical over-reaction by leftists and some of our elitists in law enforcement, we have yet another big ol' nothing burger:

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/politi ... ed-texans/
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 am Well after much fear mongering, pearl clutching, hand wringing and general hysterical over-reaction by leftists and some of our elitists in law enforcement, we have yet another big ol' nothing burger:

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/politi ... ed-texans/
Well....we certainly didn't see them being wrong again coming.... :D
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

In every state that has lifted restrictions on carrying guns, the response has always been, "This isn't Texas!"

Well, no, and thank goodness. Pretty much every "not Texas" has better gun laws than Texas.

Even "Texas" has never been the mythical Texas, as shown by the comments in that article from Texas elected officials and police officers. They fear a lawless wild west version of Texas that never existed, at least not since 1876.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

Texas is seen as a state with very loose gun laws. Although it is looser than the majority of states, I wouldn't even put it in the top 15 states. Yes, even with permitless carry. Consider that 20 other states had it already before Texas did.

But on the original topic, I'm not entirely entirely sure that's actual news. It's like saying "BREAKING NEWS: Water is Wet, One Plus One Is Two, and LIberals Are Wrong Again... All coming up on the 6 o'clock news!"
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Every time, Texas, has "loosened" their gun laws, ( I detest that term, since, no "law" ever unrestricted anything, they only restrict) The gun grabbers predict doom and gloom.
When CHL was approved, there was going to be shoot outs, blood in the streets, and police would not be able to differentiate between good guys and bad guys.
When OC was approved, the gun grabbers predicted women and children fleeing in fear at the sight of a hog leg on someone's hip, shoot outs at high noon, LTC holders becoming easy "targets" for bad guys, and police being unable to differentiate between good guys and bad guys.
When Campus Carry was approved, gun grabbers predicted, drunken frat parties would become killing fields, professors would be shot for discussing controversial subjects or giving bad grades, shoot outs in the quad, police not being able to differentiate between good guys and bad guys.
Now we have "permitless" carry. The gun grabbers predicted: (see any of the above) But they have to get it right sometime don't they? :lol: :lol:
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

I've probably told this here before, because I've told it every time the notion of Texas being a "gun Mecca" comes up.

We moved to New Hampshire October 1, 2012. I still had to work in Texas for another 15 months pending transfer, but I got my NH DL in December 2012 (I flew back and forth a lot). We owned houses in both states, but I declared my NH residency by switching my license.

The NH application for a "Revolver & Pistol License" is very simple: one sheet, fill it out front and back, drop it off, and it's must-issue within 14 calendar days. No training, no notary, no photograph, no fingerprints. The cost is $10, for up to five years (initial issue expires on your birthday).

I dropped off mine and my daughter's applications on a Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday, they called her to ask about her name change (we don't share DNA, but as an adult she went to court and changed her name to my last name--I love that girl, and she loves me!). Friday morning, they called to let us know they were ready to pick up.

That's how it should be.

On a sad but related note, my 19 year old son left the house quietly sometime during the night and committed suicide October 7, 2014. I had no idea how such things were handled here, but along with dealing with all that aftermath, I called the police chief and asked what would happen to the gun (a .38 revolver). He said that if I didn't want it, they would send it to... I forget. Anyway, I asked to have it back.

A couple of days later, around 7 p.m., a local patrolman pulled into our driveway, knocked, and handed me a paper bag. No signature, no ID required, just a look of sympathy and a handshake. Inside was the revolver, unloaded, with the unspent rounds in a ziplock bag.

So anyway... that's how things are done in a pro-gun state. And all of that was before we went constitutional carry.

NH still has a lower firearm homicide rate than Canada.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

KBCraig,
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how devastating that must have been for you and your family. But I am uplifted, by the fact that even in such a tragedy, you realized that the inanimate object, was not the culprit behind your son's death.

Texas still has a long way to go, to become the "free" State it needs to be. Many people who haven't lived here as long as I have, believe that Texas was always a 2A friendly State. I know better. It was only after Ann Richards, refused to sign the CHL bill, that many of us, "woke up" and changed to complexion of the State legislature, and Governorship. That still did not result in a complete change of legislation. The prevailing attitude, even among so called "conservatives" was that everyday citizens didn't need to carry a gun, so laws prohibiting the practice, were seldom challenged. People were charged and convicted of UCW (unlawfully carry a weapon) even when they had a legitimate defense to prosecution. Preemption, was not the law of the land, so many cities, had their own ordinances that could land someone in jail. Knife laws were also some of the most restrictive, and often used to prosecute "undesirables", or to legitimize, 4th amendment violations. A person's chances of being prosecuted, lay strictly in the hands of which prosecutor they ran across, and most were of the mindset, that only cops and criminals carry guns.
It is changing, and since the left wing, has gone so far off the deep end, and are actually admitting that they want to totally disarm the general population, more people are voting based on the candidate's 2A stance. Unfortunately, there is still that "old guard" mentality, among several legislators. As well as the wolves in sheep's clothing, who's favorite line is "I support the Second Amendment, But...."
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble: