NRA Lawsuit

Discuss the NRA, TSRA, and others
The Annoyed Man
Has liked: 30 times
Liked: 118 times

My wife and I first joined the NRA in 1990 as basic members. In the early 2000s, I upgraded both of our memberships to Life Member. Circa 2009-2010, I upgraded both of our life memberships to Endowment Life Memberships. Sometime in the 20-teens, I stopped responding to fundraisers. Until just a few months ago, I’ve been disgusted by everything I’ve seen from Wayne LaPierre, but I also held onto hope that Charles Cotton (who at least used to be a baptist Sunday school teacher) would rein in the corruption and get the organization turned around. A couple of years ago, I became a GOA member, and I’ve almost entirely stopped paying attention to anything that comes out of any NRA mouthpieces. I continue to receive my American Rifleman magazine, but I don’t read it. I just keep the subscription alive so that I can feel like I’m still getting something for the money I put into NRA.

Here’s the bottom line for me… I hope NRA does all the right things, conducts a THOROUGH housecleaning and fires all or most of the current board AND executive staff, and rebuilds the organization and rewrites the bylaws with TRANSPARENCY as a core value. If they do not, I’ll write them off completely and cancel our memberships. One of MY core values is that you are known by the company you keep. I will not be a part of a corrupt organization that got caught with its pants down, and then refused to take advantage of the opportunity to fix itself.

In the past four or five years, "upstarts" like GOA, FPC and other gun-rights advocacy groups have done FAR more to advance the 2A both nationwide and in individual states than the NRA did in the previous ten. These organizations have shown themselves willing to engage in Lawfare in a way that the NRA tended to avoid, and that strategy has been extraordinarily effective in a way that the NRA has not been for almost 2 decades. Now maybe, part of the reason for that is that the NRA's attention is entirely focused on this legal battle. But sometimes well intentioned people do stupid shit, and it bites them on the butt. It happens. But the true mark of character is how that person responds to being bit. Does he take steps so that it can never happen again; or does he double down and dig his hole of stupid even deeper? The NRA snake is so busy swallowing its own tail that it can’t look up long enough to acknowledge its true condition. I won’t be part of that as it currently stands.

I sincerely hope that the NRA gets things turned around, so that we can enthusiastically support it. But if they half-ass it even a little bit, I’m bailing out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"
KBCraig
Has liked: 165 times
Liked: 106 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:50 am I sincerely hope that the NRA gets things turned around, so that we can enthusiastically support it. But if they half-ass it even a little bit, I’m bailing out.
Welcome to the club, TAM.

I remember you well from the CHL forum. I got banned there at least a half dozen times, until I got tired of outsmarting the Smartest Lawyer In Texas.

I was an occasional NRA member. I complained when it was required to join Texarkana Gun Club, but I did so, and it was a pretty good place to shoot.

Fast forward, I moved to New Hampshire in 2012. I served as a state representative for two terms. I had a 100% pro-gun rating, but I had to step back because of my wife's health (I'm now her primary caretaker).

I support SAF and FPC. I have no confidence that the NRA can be reformed from within.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
RoyGBiv
Has liked: 6 times
Liked: 4 times

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:50 am I sincerely hope that the NRA gets things turned around, so that we can enthusiastically support it. But if they half-ass it even a little bit, I’m bailing out.
Same here...

I've been an Endowment Life member (whatever they call it now) for about 10 years, but haven't sent them any $$ since I read about the DC intern and her $5,000/month apartment. And the self dealing through Ack-Mac...

Became a Life member at SAF in 2018. Also was a member of NYSRPA for several years following passage of the SAFE Act, as well as VACDL (I have relatives there).

I did sign up for volunteering at the NRA convention again this year. I enjoyed it last time. Seems a good way to meet good people (members) and enjoy the community as it, hopefully, gets rid of the trash.
KBCraig

From the court files in the New York v. NRA lawsuit, dated in May, 2019, in the first month after the scandals began to break.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2024/ ... rong-kind/
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
KBCraig

Bill Brewer is a Democrat.

So was Wayne.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2024/ ... andidates/
KBCraig

Well, this is a surprise. Pardon me for not crying while she poor-mouths. If the millions she's been paid won't carry her through from age 85, I don't know what to tell her. Plus, she already retired in 2022, which meant an end to double-dipping, and just getting paid once for the same job.

If they cut her off for crossing Chas., that's just more corruption in evidence.

https://onlygunsandmoney.com/2024/04/22 ... nated.html
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 293 times
Liked: 213 times

Gun Owners of America steps into the spotlight
as NRA's power fades

https://jewscanshoot.org/2024/04/25/gun ... wer-fades/
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.