NRA Lawsuit

Discuss the NRA, TSRA, and others
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

FrogFan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:03 am The actions of their president -- who we know well -- ruling uncomplimentary resolutions as "out of order", suggest that the NRA has become an organization dedicated to the enrichment and entertainment of its officers and board, and only tangentially interested in its membership or 2A issues generally.
At a meeting of a large body that uses RONR (Rules of Order, Newly Revised, aka "Robert's Rules"), it is simple to monkeywrench everything to a standstill. One need only look at this past weekend's Libertarian Party National [s]Convention[/s] Circus to see that in action.

Parliamentary Inquiries, Points of Personal Privilege, Questions of the Chair, Appealing the Ruling of the Chair, Calls for Division, Calls for Reconsideration, Motions to Adjourn... all these can turn a five second process into a five hour nightmare. Especially when being doing by multiple people.

RONR is suited for small bodies, and falls apart quickly in larger groups if there is any serious contention within the body.

It does not surprise me at all that the current president just made up something not contained in RONR. He has also sworn that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the NRA's finances, and the Audit Committee found no evidence of wrongdoing.

And, another good write-up:

https://taitnra.substack.com/p/update-o ... ting-after
Last edited by KBCraig on Tue May 31, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
FrogFan
Has liked: 29 times
Liked: 14 times

Thanks for the link to that write-up -- not a pretty picture. The largest single NRA expenditure is legal fees; the amount is not specified in the write-up. Meanwhile, $13,000 is spent on the School Shield Program -- a pittance.

One point that I did not realize until after reading through some comments on one of the major news sites covering the meeting is that NRA officers are elected by the board, not the membership, so any effort by members to affect the appointment of officers, including WLP, is automatically ignored and ruled "out of order". Moreover, not just anyone becomes a candidate for the board. Candidates, it seems, are hand-picked by the board, so there is little to no opportunity for dissenting opinions on the board.

The organization seems to be in a steep decline, with membership and member contributions shrinking. When will the gun manufacturers reduce their contributions? That, I suspect, will spell the end of the NRA as we know it.
KBCraig

What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
HollowPoint
Liked: 4 times

I have come to the conclusion that not only should Wayne go but Cotton should go as well. Never will the NRA see another penny of my money until that happens!
KBCraig

HollowPoint wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:45 pm I have come to the conclusion that not only should Wayne go but Cotton should go as well. Never will the NRA see another penny of my money until that happens!
That conclusion is a long time coming. Cotton has been an enabler for 25 years or more.
KBCraig

"Ding-dong, the witch is..." Wait, what, still collecting huge bucks from the NRA?

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2022/ ... -the-till/
KBCraig

The accusations come from the NY AG, but they're also pretty damning.

And also, this:

"It will be among the greatest of ironies if the NRA, despite corrupt (and not even competently corrupt) leaders and its spineless board, was saved by the New York Attorney General. If she succeeds in having the court remove LaPierre and Frazier, and force them to refund their salaries, she will have become one of the most successful fundraisers the organization has ever had. If she reforms the place, NRA might regain a million members, so she’d be the top recruiter as well. Too had she’d turn down an invitation to speak at the next annual meeting."

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2022/ ... o-dismiss/
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Yet another loss in court for Brewer and NRA
https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2022/ ... r-and-nra/
We’ve blogged before of the remarkable, almost 100%, losing record of the Brewer firm in representing NRA. Here’s one list we made of the losses. Here’s an addition to it. Now we can add one more to the list.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Info from September NRA Board Meeting
https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2022/ ... d-meeting/
It was held last Saturday, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Tyson’s Corner, in the suburbs of D.C. It was the shortest board meeting in anyone’s recall, adjourning after barely three hours. It was also one of the most poorly-attended; only 40 of the 75 directors bothered to show up. Attendance was even worse among the more powerful ones. Of the seven directors who are former presidents, only two showed up, Kayne Robinson and John Sigler. There was no sign of Jim Porter, David Keene, Sandy Froman, Marion Hammer, or Caroline Meadows, or at least our friends didn’t see them. Spectators, other than staff, were a handful, one friend says he saw only one.
The Finance Committee had received a packet of information on NRA’s finances; the rest of the board was not allowed to see it. The one remaining dissident, Judge Journey, made a motion to give copies of the packet to each director, and his motion died for lack of a second. The board volunteered to keep in ignorance of the organization’s financial condition, and of the Ackerman settlement.

If the question of whether the board is fulfilling its fiduciary duties comes up in court, those decisions will be prominent. The board deliberately chose to remain ignorant of critical issues.
More NRA stupidity at the link.
KBCraig

Those directors still seem to have no clue about their fiduciary responsibility and personal liability.

Their casual celebrity status is going to carry a heavy financial penalty.