NRA Lawsuit

Discuss the NRA, TSRA, and others
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:29 pm
Yep, this out-moded leadership model is still far too common. NRA Leadership should serve the members, not the other way around. Authoritarian, arrogant leaders only serve to alienate those that they need - and they never realize it until its typically too late.
You're so optimistic. You actually think authoritarian leaders are aware enough to realize it.😜

This whole NRA thing is such an utter mess. The only positive thing I can say about it is that the group has major consistency. I seriously hoped that they might actually be able to turn themselves around. Yeah, the odds of that happening were about as high as the current white house resident declaring the NFA illegal, but one can dream, right?
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

NRA: First They Circled the Wagons, Now NRA is Circling the Drain
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/nra-ci ... z797VERITm
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/nra-ci ... z797VhnlpN
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The “leadership” of the National Rifle Association, are either thoroughly corrupt, delusional, or both. They held their Annual Meeting of Members on October 2nd, 2021, of this year, and the event was described by the new President of the Board of Directors, Charles Cotton as follows:

“The proceedings in Charlotte were an amazing celebration of NRA fellowship and freedom. Under the direction of Wayne LaPierre, the NRA is strong and secure – well-positioned to chart its course for the future.”

Cotton and LaPierre conspired to keep the meeting as sparsely attended as possible, moving the scheduled meeting from Houston to Charlotte, then not promoting it at all, and finally, setting up a ticketing service that reported the event as “sold out” almost as soon as the “tickets” were made available. Nothing about the meeting ever appeared in any of the NRA’s magazines, but they did, in a minimal nod toward technical compliance with New York law, publish two or three small notices in a local Fairfax, Virginia weekly newspaper. Information was belatedly added to the official website, in such a way as to be hard to find, then a few emails were sent out, but apparently only to relatively new Annual Members, who would be the least likely to be concerned about all of the accusations of financial chicanery in the Association, and who can’t even vote on most matters at a meeting.
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 212 times

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pm NRA: First They Circled the Wagons, Now NRA is Circling the Drain
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/nra-ci ... z797VERITm
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/nra-ci ... z797VhnlpN
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The “leadership” of the National Rifle Association, are either thoroughly corrupt, delusional, or both. They held their Annual Meeting of Members on October 2nd, 2021, of this year, and the event was described by the new President of the Board of Directors, Charles Cotton as follows:

“The proceedings in Charlotte were an amazing celebration of NRA fellowship and freedom. Under the direction of Wayne LaPierre, the NRA is strong and secure – well-positioned to chart its course for the future.”

Cotton and LaPierre conspired to keep the meeting as sparsely attended as possible, moving the scheduled meeting from Houston to Charlotte, then not promoting it at all, and finally, setting up a ticketing service that reported the event as “sold out” almost as soon as the “tickets” were made available. Nothing about the meeting ever appeared in any of the NRA’s magazines, but they did, in a minimal nod toward technical compliance with New York law, publish two or three small notices in a local Fairfax, Virginia weekly newspaper. Information was belatedly added to the official website, in such a way as to be hard to find, then a few emails were sent out, but apparently only to relatively new Annual Members, who would be the least likely to be concerned about all of the accusations of financial chicanery in the Association, and who can’t even vote on most matters at a meeting.
I found this part of the article insightful: "At some point in the very near future, NRA’s $2 million-a-month attorney, Bill Brewer, will decide that there’s no more money for him to suck out of the Association, so he’ll call a special meeting to inform the Executive Committee that the evidence compiled by the NY AG is too strong and overwhelming and that the Association’s best course will be to try and settle the case."

As you may recall, it was my criticism of the hiring of Brewer that got me kicked off the other forum by Cotton's butt buddy, Keith B., proving that "cancel culture" is not just the purview of the left.

Unfortunately, there is no joy in being right on this issue. I am confident that the GOA and the SAF will rapidly grow to fill the void created by the self-marginalized NRA.
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:54 pm I found this part of the article insightful: "At some point in the very near future, NRA’s $2 million-a-month attorney, Bill Brewer, will decide that there’s no more money for him to suck out of the Association, so he’ll call a special meeting to inform the Executive Committee that the evidence compiled by the NY AG is too strong and overwhelming and that the Association’s best course will be to try and settle the case."

As you may recall, it was my criticism of the hiring of Brewer that got me kicked off the other forum by Cotton's butt buddy, Keith B. Unfortunately, there is no joy in being right on this issue.
Probably the first time Brewer’s invoices are past due and the excuses from the top guys start. Then Brewer can return to having drinks with his Democrat friends bragging about how much money he siphoned from the NRA to Democrat coffers.
jason812
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 77 times

Weren't we told that Brewer's politics do not matter, he was the best available?

A couple things I have realized. Those that rub elbows constantly with politicians, become slimy just like politicians.

If the NRA were to get every anti gun law revoked, they would lose the fear factor for collecting money. So get small victories instead of fighting for whats right to keep the money flowing. Or give in a little and claim the NRA just needs more money to fight. Very similar to the Republicans who always need more to grow a backbone.
Why is it so hard for politicians to understand "shall not be infringed?"
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/ ... gal-bills/

Filed as an exhibit, in Rocky Marshall’s motion to intervene (and save NRA) in the New York AG’s case. The Brewer firm’s legal bills to NRA. Breathtaking, most monthly bills exceed $2 million!

No wonder that LaPierre fought so hard to stop directors from seeing them. They were being paid millions a month with bills less itemized than what you’d get for a twenty-dollar oil change. Things like “Insurance Matters $275,347.40” or “Russia-September 1-15 $220,933.26.” Some where it’s hard even to guess what the work was: “Gov. Charitable rights and related matters $917,998.41” “James (Invoice to W. Davis) $133,037.34” Each of those covering only one month, note.

We showed the billing to an attorney who’s worked some complex commercial cases. He said “unconscionable.” Billings should be broken down by day, lawyer doing the work, his hourly rate, and an itemization of what he did, subdivided into specific tasks — research into this issue, writing a letter to this person, etc. That way the client knows what you did, knows that you weren’t double-dipping (two billing for the same thing, four billing for attending a motion where only one spoke) or just making things up. With billings like these, nothing but the month and a money sum, how could anyone in NRA claim to have been “vetting” the billings? Maybe they could make sure the addition was correct?

Staggering — millions paid for “Russia.” “North New York Litigation” — a simple issue, Oliver North wanted payment of his legal fees for responding to congressional inquiries about NRA. NRA Bylaws, Art. VI section 4 has one (long) sentence on the issue. Does that sentence say NRA should pay? The firm was paid about $650,000 to settle the meaning of one sentence. In one month alone it was paid $114,000 for this.

The honest former Treasurer Craig Spray said that the culture of “Wayne wants it” had to stop, and this is a good illustration of that. Word gets out that “Wayne wants Brewer paid,” and then the Brewer firm is free to bill anything and no one dares to do anything but sign the checks and keep quiet.

January 4, 2021, an email from Wayne LaPierre (who was described in the bankruptcy case testimony as never using a computer) commands Spray, “On behalf of the Office of the Executive Vice President and the SLC (special litigation committee) please wire in the amount of $5,000,000 from the Operating Cash Line of Credit to the Brewer Law Firm Trust Account in connection with pending a potential legal matters.”

He is being handed millions at a time when NRA can’t even repair its building’s roof. In return, he has given NRA so far a string of courtroom losses.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Sounds like being the legal firm of record for the NRA is a pretty sweet gig.
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 212 times

Jusme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am Sounds like being the legal firm of record for the NRA is a pretty sweet gig.
Makes one wonder why any discussion of that attorney's selection was cause for being banned from Cotton's website, NOT
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

Jusme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am Sounds like being the legal firm of record for the NRA is a pretty sweet gig.
I'm reminded of John Grisham's 1991 novel, "The Firm" (which was turned into a movie starring Tom Cruise).

In a huge law firm, everything was billable, and everything was tracked, including copy machines.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
FrogFan
Has liked: 29 times
Liked: 14 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm
Makes one wonder why any discussion of that attorney's selection was cause for being banned from Cotton's website, NOT
I mentioned before that I became a 5-year member about 5 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I won't renew again after reading the latest news.

I haven't heard much about what they're doing lately to protect our freedom -- only what they're doing to protect themselves in court -- so I picked up the latest copy of American Rifleman, which I don't read much anymore either. I noticed they've gone to a cheaper paper for that magazine since last I read it. I wonder if they've done that to save money to pay lawyers?