Link to Texas Legislature bills filed for 2021 - Weapons

What state and federal bills might affect our self defense rights?
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

Thanks for posting this. The majority are anti-gun bills filed by the usual suspects. My rep filed the bill to reduce the penalty for LTC holders carrying past 30.06/30.07 signs. Looks like we have at least two using language to make Texas a 2A sanctuary State, and 2 for permit less carry. I’m still working on my rep, and senator (as I know Flightmare is also)for removal/reduction of prohibited locations.
If everyone will contact their Reps.( I know some have the misfortune of being represented by left wing gun grabbers) we can make a difference. JMHO
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

None of this has been filed, but I've talked to state senators and representatives I've met at various events and handed these out. I've also handed out many to forum members.
Handgun legislation request-page-001.jpg
Handgun legislation request-page-002.jpg
I have this in PDF format. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me.
You must LOGIN to view the files attached to this post.
Russell
Site Admin
Has liked: 55 times
Liked: 111 times

Good link! Thanks for sharing.
powerboatr
Has liked: 149 times
Liked: 63 times

Flightmare wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:30 pm None of this has been filed, but I've talked to state senators and representatives I've met at various events and handed these out. I've also handed out many to forum members.

Handgun legislation request-page-001.jpg
Handgun legislation request-page-002.jpg

I have this in PDF format. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me.
common sense approach to the opposition,
Retired Navy (1983-2004), Native Texan living in the piney woods
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

Senator Drew Springer filed his version of constitutional carry today.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 00540I.htm

I do have an issue with one section that is being added to it.
(a-2) A person commits an offense if the person carries a handgun on or about their person, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a holster on or about the person.
While I'm not a fan of handling a firearm in a public setting, I can see where this could potentially get someone in trouble depending on the interpretation of the text. At breakfast for example, I've asked to see someone's EDC and holster before. It may be covered by a vest, jacket, or shirt. The firearm was never removed from the holster and never physically touched. However, a person who did this could be seen as in violation of the text of this bill.

I did notice the new proposed 30.08 signage location requirements defaults back to the current 30.06 language of
is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
I would like to see that changed to the same requirements as the 30.07 language of "at each entrance".

ETA: I have emailed my state senator asking her to speak with Senator Springer to amend the legislation as I indicated above. As amended, I would encourage her to sign on as a co-author. We shall see what happens.
Jusme

Flightmare wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 pm Senator Drew Springer filed his version of constitutional carry today.

(a-2) A person commits an offense if the person carries a handgun on or about their person, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a holster on or about the person.
While I'm not a fan of handling a firearm in a public setting, I can see where this could potentially get someone in trouble depending on the interpretation of the text. At breakfast for example, I've asked to see someone's EDC and holster before. It may be covered by a vest, jacket, or shirt. The firearm was never removed from the holster and never physically touched. However, a person who did this could be seen as in violation of the text of this bill.

I did notice the new proposed 30.08 signage location requirements defaults back to the current 30.06 language of
is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
I would like to see that changed to the same requirements as the 30.07 language of "at each entrance".

ETA: I have emailed my state senator asking her to speak with Senator Springer to amend the legislation as I indicated above. As amended, I would encourage her to sign on as a co-author. We shall see what happens.

I agree, It seems like he took the long way around of saying,"if carried openly, the handgun must be in a holster"

I also agree, that if a business, is going to post signage, then it must be at each entrance. Too many people have unknowingly carried, into places, with signs not posted at all entrances. An anti-gun DA, could press the issue, and cause a lot of grief for an otherwise law abiding LTC holder. JMHO

parabellum
Has liked: 18 times
Liked: 33 times

Flightmare wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 pm Senator Drew Springer filed his version of constitutional carry today.

If I’m reading the above correctly, issue would only be if person draws the weapon out of holster in public place. Not sure that I have issue with that as the weapon should only leave your holster in public place when acting in self defense, in which case other legal spectrum arises...
American Patriot Coalition
Jusme

parabellum wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:07 am

If I’m reading the above correctly, issue would only be if person draws the weapon out of holster in public place. Not sure that I have issue with that as the weapon should only leave your holster in public place when acting in self defense, in which case other legal spectrum arises...

I think that was the intention, of the bill, but the language, is ambiguous, and, in my non-legal opinion could lead to someone being charged, by simply moving a jacket. They need to just copy and paste the language from the open carry law.

parabellum
Has liked: 18 times
Liked: 33 times

How so? It clearly states that for a person to be charged the weapon must be intentionally removed from the holster. As far as the jacket scenario, as long as it’s in the holster, you’re good, through the exception clause.This one seems clear to me.
American Patriot Coalition