HB 1378 and 1379

What state and federal bills might affect our self defense rights?
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

Jared Patterson has filed these 2 bills. It would increase the percentage of sale of alcohol for on-premise consumption from 51% to 60% in order to be classified as a bar. This is intended to address 2 potential issues.

1) Allows LTCs to carry in more businesses without being prohibited by the state.
2) By raising the limit from 51% to 60%, fewer businesses would be shuttered by Governor Abbott's EOs.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 01378I.htm
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 01379I.htm

I agree that these are a step in the right direction for both matters.

I do not believe it is necessary to prohibit LTCs from simply carrying in a bar at all. It is already illegal to carry while intoxicated. I have been to locations classified as a bar to have a meal with co-workers or friends. No alcohol consumed. My right to defend myself should not be dictated by the receipts of the business I choose to visit.

I also do not agree with any executive at any level unilaterally declaring which industries or private businesses can and cannot operate.

Just my 2 cents.
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

I agree that this is a step in the right direction, but like you I don't believe that where a businesses, derives it's revenue, should dictate whether it is a prohibited location. A person can become just as intoxicated at a Red Lobster, as they can at Kelly's Irish pub. In fact, either place can lose their license if they over serve someone. My problem with this bill, is that it will probably only effect a very small percentage of businesses. I would bet that if a business's alcohol sales receipts total 51% now, they are probably already at 60% or more. Also I believe that this will receive a lot of push back from TABC licensees, simply because they will be forced to change their signage.
The TABC, relaxed a lot of rules during this Covid sham, to allow permittees, with a license for on premise consumption,to sell curbside to go drinks.
I also know that the TABC feels that it is as much of a legislative body as it is an enforcement agency, and have a long history of resisting any new laws, if they feel that their authority, or power is lessened in any way. JMHO
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble: