Let's hope Allen West runs for govenor

What state and federal bills might affect our self defense rights?
strogg
Has liked: 24 times
Liked: 110 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:00 am West has my vote!
https://thehill.com/regulation/lobbying ... -step-down
He has my vote too for the time being. Overall, Abbott has done an excellent job so far. He's had his missteps, but he's generally done well. I think it's time for a new face, though. In the next year and a half, things will be much different in the state and country. I don't think he'll be the right man for the task. Allen West will be a better fit IMO. I can't fully decide until I see the rest of the candidate list, though. It's still too early.
Bitter Clinger
Has liked: 290 times
Liked: 213 times

strogg wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:00 am West has my vote!
https://thehill.com/regulation/lobbying ... -step-down
He has my vote too for the time being. Overall, Abbott has done an excellent job so far. He's had his missteps, but he's generally done well. I think it's time for a new face, though. In the next year and a half, things will be much different in the state and country. I don't think he'll be the right man for the task. Allen West will be a better fit IMO. I can't fully decide until I see the rest of the candidate list, though. It's still too early.
Don Huffines is the other (R) candidate presently, also appears very Conservative (Dallas native, successful entrepreneur) and to the right of Abbott. Abbott has a massive war chest, rumored that he may also seek Presidency.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
srothstein
Has liked: 76 times
Liked: 67 times

Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:52 pmDon Huffines is the other (R) candidate presently, also appears very Conservative (Dallas native, successful entrepreneur) and to the right of Abbott. Abbott has a massive war chest, rumored that he may also seek Presidency.
Huffines is out for me, until he can explain how he would replace the property tax he wants to do away with. In Texas, property tax is all local (no state property tax collected) and it accounts for about 47% of all tax revenues collected in the state each year. It is the only funding source for a lot of governmental agencies (not sure I want them to be there, but they are).

If Huffines has a reasonable plan on how to replace it, I will consider him, but not until then.
Steve Rothstein
Bitter Clinger

srothstein wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:28 am
Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:52 pmDon Huffines is the other (R) candidate presently, also appears very Conservative (Dallas native, successful entrepreneur) and to the right of Abbott. Abbott has a massive war chest, rumored that he may also seek Presidency.
Huffines is out for me, until he can explain how he would replace the property tax he wants to do away with. In Texas, property tax is all local (no state property tax collected) and it accounts for about 47% of all tax revenues collected in the state each year. It is the only funding source for a lot of governmental agencies (not sure I want them to be there, but they are).

If Huffines has a reasonable plan on how to replace it, I will consider him, but not until then.
Agreed. I heard him speak and he was asked directly how he would fund the elimination of property taxes. He did state that it would be phased out over something like a ten year period and be replaced by a combination of other taxes (sales?) along with reduced spending and elimination of waste, but I felt it was very general and not specific. Hopefully he will clarify with a detailed plan soon.
Menachem Begin to Joe Biden (1982): I Am Not A Jew With Trembling Knees. I am a proud Jew with 3,700 years of civilized history.
jason812
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 77 times

Allen West has my vote unless something drastically changes. Abbott has always seemed uppity to me. Kind of like he's talking down to everybody but I have a similar complaint about Cruz with that as well.

Mr. West has said a lot of the right things. I think he has a very similar message as Trump but is more poetic so to speak about how it comes out of his mouth. The problem is we won't know how he will lead until he's elected but we do know what we will get with Abbott.
Why is it so hard for politicians to understand "shall not be infringed?"
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

jason812 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 am Allen West has my vote unless something drastically changes. Abbott has always seemed uppity to me. Kind of like he's talking down to everybody but I have a similar complaint about Cruz with that as well.

Mr. West has said a lot of the right things. I think he has a very similar message as Trump but is more poetic so to speak about how it comes out of his mouth. The problem is we won't know how he will lead until he's elected but we do know what we will get with Abbott.
West HAS held elected office before, so he does have an official record that can be vetted.
jason812
Has liked: 27 times
Liked: 77 times

Flightmare wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:27 pm
jason812 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 am Allen West has my vote unless something drastically changes. Abbott has always seemed uppity to me. Kind of like he's talking down to everybody but I have a similar complaint about Cruz with that as well.

West HAS held elected office before, so he does have an official record that can be vetted.
True although briefly and in a far different capacity than being the governor of Texas.
Why is it so hard for politicians to understand "shall not be infringed?"
Bitter Clinger

West is a very inspirational speaker and very approachable with a ton of energy.
Flightmare
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 56 times

jason812 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Flightmare wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:27 pm

True although briefly and in a far different capacity than being the governor of Texas.
I agree that an executive role is different from a legislative role. 2 of the contenders to Abbott have served in a legislative role and therefore have voting records that can be vetted. The other contender has no public record to be vetted, only a series of videos, comedy routine, and speaking events. I will say that while I tend to agree with much of what Mr. Prather has said over the years, I question whether he would be an effective executive, especially in a governmental type role.

My point in bringing up voting records is it can give you insight as to what a particular legislator deems important, especially when they author/sponsor a bill and push it thru.
Bitter Clinger

Hufines to announce his plan for securing the Border at noon today!

https://donhuffines.com/border-plan