Constitutional Hearings

What state and federal bills might affect our self defense rights?
KBCraig
Has liked: 164 times
Liked: 103 times

After Abbott signed the bill, I tried to do a deep dive on the bill itself.

I gave up 21 pages in.

Texas has been so restrictive on carry for so many decades, across so many chapters of law, that it's a huge mess.

I predict that even after September 1, 2021, people will continue being arrested when they thought they were in the right, but they missed some sub-sub-sub paragraph of some chapter they never even considered after the news announced that Texas is now a Constitutional Carry state.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
John
Has liked: 3 times
Liked: 21 times

KBCraig wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:24 am After Abbott signed the bill, I tried to do a deep dive on the bill itself.

I gave up 21 pages in.

Texas has been so restrictive on carry for so many decades, across so many chapters of law, that it's a huge mess.

I predict that even after September 1, 2021, people will continue being arrested when they thought they were in the right, but they missed some sub-sub-sub paragraph of some chapter they never even considered after the news announced that Texas is now a Constitutional Carry state.
You might be correct, but it is ultimately up to the person carrying to know the law.
NRA Life Member
Jusme
Has liked: 71 times
Liked: 178 times

KBCraig wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:24 am After Abbott signed the bill, I tried to do a deep dive on the bill itself.

I gave up 21 pages in.

I think just the opposite will be true. While there will be those who do stupid things while carrying. There have been those who did stupid things while carrying with an LTC. I predict, that this will be as much of a non-event, as OC, Campus Carry, and the MPA. I do not believe that there are huge numbers of law abiding citizens, who wish to carry, who were just waiting on Permitless carry, to pass, to do so.
Getting an LTC in Texas, has become easier, and cheaper, over the years. I don't believe that spending a few hours for one day, spending an average of $75 for a class, and $40 for a license, has really been that much of a hardship.
I know MSM, and left wing gun grabbers are hoping for there to be high noon shootouts, and blood running in the streets. But I think any shootings will still be carried out, by the same prohibited persons, as usual. JMHO
Take Away The Second First, And The First is Gone in a Second!!

:flags-texas: :flags-texas: :flags-texas:
:violence-pistoldouble:
KBCraig

All of the language in the bill seems to refer to "residents" of Texas. At least one article says it applies to everyone, but I don't think that's the plain language.

Suppose someone from another state shows up believing Texas is truly a constitutional carry state. That person is not aware of the long list of places off limits in Texas, and penalty enhancements up to felony level for unlicensed carry in certain places.

For that person, it doesn't matter how much the Texas license is now cheaper and easier to obtain, if they wind up as a felon for "Constitutionally" carrying without a license.
What do I miss about Texas? Most of the food, some of the people, absolutely none of the weather.
bblhd672
Has liked: 278 times
Liked: 211 times

Jusme wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:32 pm
Getting an LTC in Texas, has become easier, and cheaper, over the years. I don't believe that spending a few hours for one day, spending an average of $75 for a class, and $40 for a license, has really been that much of a hardship.
A lot of people spend more hours in a month and more money in a week in the drive through at Starbucks.

I listened to a friend the other day who is looking at buying his first pistol complain about the high price of a quality subcompact pistol, while holding the newest top of the line iPhone in his hand. :roll:
sewtexas
Has liked: 4 times
Liked: 7 times

I truly believe that this will be a bridge....that it will be leaned on by people between the time they buy their weapon and get their license, if they are in a situation in which they feel the need. This may be a game changer for women, and some men, who are in abusive/stalker situations.
KBCraig

This has the potential to really jam some people up when they're not guilty of anything except failure to know the entire (now even more complicated) law.

I can't attach a PDF here, but U.S. Law Shield has a 28 page guide you can download for free.